Virtual Microscopy Using JPEG2000
Navigation through large microscopical images is a potential benefit for histology or pathology teaching, quality of diagnosis in pathology or communication between pathologists in some telemedicine applications. However, the size of this kind of images is prohibitive for navigation with conventional techniques. This paper presents a system which constructs large microscopical images and describes optimal strategies for navigation using the JPEG2000 (J2K) standard. Given a set of images automatically acquired from a microscope, they are registered to construct a mega-image. Using the J2K standard the image is compressed and stored. Finally, we developed a novel technique for browsing the image from the compressed bit stream, which allows to efficiently obtain regions of interest with different qualities and resolutions, i.e. in microscopical terms, with different enlargement settings.
Keywordsvirtual microscopy JPEG2000 efficient navigation large images
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Preza, C., Conchello, J.: Image estimation accounting for point-spread function depth variation in three-dimensional fluorescence microscopy. In: Proc. SPIE. vol. 4964(27), p. 1336 (2003)Google Scholar
- 2.Hoge, W.S., Mamata, H., Maier, S.E.: Efficient construction of histology slide mosaics via phase correlation registration of high resolution tiles. In: ICIP (1), pp. 1117–1120 (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Deshpande, S., Zeng, W.: HTTP Streaming of JPEG2000 Images. In: ITCC, pp. 15–23 (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.International Organization for Standardization and International Electrotechnical Commission: ISO/IEC 15444 - JPEG-2000 Image Coding System Part 9: Interactive tools, APIs and protocols (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Rosenfeld, A., Kak, A.C.: Digital Picture Processing. Academic Press, London (1982)Google Scholar
- 10.Viola, P.A.: Alignment by maximization of mutual information. Technical Report AITR-1548 (1995)Google Scholar
- 11.International Organization for Standardization and International Electrotechnical Commission: ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG1 N2058 - Press Release of the 23rd WG1 Singapore Meeting (2001)Google Scholar
- 12.Adams, M.: The JPEG-2000 Still Image Compression Standard, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 29/WG 1 N 2412 (2003)Google Scholar
- 13.Adams, M., Kossentini, F.: JasPer: A software-based JPEG-2000 Codec implementation. In: Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Image Processing, Vancouver, Canada, vol. II, pp. 53–56 (2000)Google Scholar