Flexibility Description of the MET Protein Stalk Based on the Use of Non-uniform B-Splines
The MET protein controls growth, invasion, and metastasis in cancer cells and is thereby of interest to study, for example from a structural point of view. For individual particle imaging by Cryo-Electron Tomography of the MET protein, or other proteins, dedicated image analysis methods are required to extract information in a robust way as the images have low contrast and resolution (with respect to the size of the imaged structure). We present a method to identify the two parts of the MET protein, β-propeller and stalk, using a fuzzy framework. Furthermore, we describe how a representation of the MET stalk, denoted stalk curve, can be identified based on the use of non-uniform B-splines. The stalk curve is used to extract relevant geometrical information about the stalk, e.g., to facilitate curvature and length measurements.
KeywordsControl Point Curve Segment Fuzzy Object Discrete Curve Discrete Path
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Gherardi, E., Sandin, S., Petoukhov, M.V., Finch, J., Youles, M.E., Öfverstedt, L.G., Miguel, R.N., Blundell, T.L., Vande Woude, G.F., Skoglund, U., Svergun, D.I.: Structural basis of hepatocyte growth factor/scatter factor and MET signalling. Proc. National Academy of Sciences (PNAS) 103(11), 4046–4051 (2006)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Laing, M.: An introduction to the scope, potential and applications of X-ray analysis. International Union of Crystallographers Teaching Pamphlets (1981)Google Scholar
- 5.Atta-ur Rahman, H.E.J.: Nuclear Magnetic Resonance: Basic Principles. Springer, New York (1986)Google Scholar
- 8.Svensson, S., Gedda, M., Fanelli, D., Skoglund, U., Öfverstedt, L.G., Sandin, S.: Using a fuzzy framework for delineation and decomposition of immunoglobulin G in cryo electron tomographic images. In: Tang, Y.Y., Wang, S.P., Lorette, G., Yeung, D.S., Yan, H. (eds.) ICPR 2006. Proc. The 18th International Conference on Pattern Recognition, vol. 4, pp. 687–690. IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos (2006)Google Scholar
- 9.Bongini, L., Fanelli, D., Svensson, S., Gedda, M., Piazza, F., Skoglund, U.: Resolving the geometry of biomolecules as seen by cryo electron tomography. Journal of Microscopy (accepted for publication, 2007)Google Scholar
- 10.Watt, A.: 3D Computer Graphics, 3rd edn. Addison-Wesley, London, UK (2000)Google Scholar