Precision Electrodischarge Machining of High Silicon P/M Aluminium Alloys for Electronic Application
High silicon content aluminium alloys are preferred in electronic applications when low coefficient of thermal expansion and high thermal conductivity of material are require i.e. in housings for electronic packaging.
This material is difficult to machine due to the large volume fraction of hard Si particles dispersed in relatively soft aluminium matrix.
Electrodischarge machining (EDM) becomes very promising alternative to the traditional machining methods.
In the present study aluminium alloys with 6–40% Si particles was manufactured by powder metallurgy (P/M) route. During EDM holes of 0,4mm diameter were drilled. After EDM the following parameters were determined: drilling speed Vd, surface roughness Ra, oversize of the hole drilled Δ. Above mentioned parameters were correlated with EDM parameters.
KeywordsAluminium Alloy Electronic Packaging Large Volume Fraction High Silicon Drilling Speed
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- C. Zweben, JOM, July 1992, 15–23Google Scholar
- D. M. Jacobson, Advanced Materials and Processes, March 2000, 36Google Scholar
- R. M. German et al, The Int. Journal od Powder Metallurgy, 1994, vol. 30, No. 2, 205–215Google Scholar
- P. K. Mallick, Composites Engineering Handbook. Marcel Dekker Inc., New York, 1997Google Scholar
- K. E. Oczoś, Mechanics, 7, 1997, pp. 325–333 (in Polish)Google Scholar
- D. Bialo et al, EURO PM2005 Congress, Prague, Czech Republic, Oct, 2–5, 2005. Vol. 3, 225–230.Google Scholar