Middleware Based Context Management for the Component-Based Pervasive Computing
Ubiquitous computing allows application developers to build a large and complex distributed system that can transform physical spaces into computationally active and intelligent environments. Ubiquitous applications need a middleware that can detect and act upon any context changes created by the result of any interactions between users, applications, and surrounding computing environment for applications without users’ interventions. The context-awareness has become the one of core technologies for application services in ubiquitous computing environment and been considered as the indispensable function for ubiquitous computing applications. The need for high quality context management is evident to the component-based middleware for it forms the basis of the component adaptation and the component deployment in the pervasive computing. Therefore, we suggest a holistic approach where context management is an integral part of a more comprehensive adaptation enabling middleware, thus enabling the development and support of context-aware, component-based applications.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Weiser, M.: Some Computer Science Problems in Ubiquitous Computing. Communications of the ACM 75–84 (1993)Google Scholar
- 2.Roy, W., Trevor, P.: System Challenges for Ubiquitous & Pervasive Computing. In: Proceedings of the 27th International Conference on Software Engineering, pp. 9–14 (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Microsoft Corporation: An Introduction to Microsoft.NET, White Paper (2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Sun Microsystems: Entreprise JavaBeans Specification 2.0 (2002)Google Scholar
- 6.OMG CORBA Components Version 3.0. An Adopted Specification of the Object Management Group (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.OMG. Specification for Deployment and Configuration of Component Based Distributed Applications (2003) Google Scholar
- 8.IST. COACH WP2: Specification of the Deployment and Configuration, D2.4 (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Dey, A.: Providing Architectural Support for Building Context-Aware Applications. Ph.D. Thesis Dissertation, College of Computing, Georgia Tech (2000)Google Scholar
- 10.Dey, A., Abowd, G.D.: Towards a Better Understanding of Context and Context Awareness. Technical Report, GITGVU-99-22, Georgia Institute of Technology (1999)Google Scholar
- 11.Schmidt, A.: Ubiquitous Computing- Computing in Context. Ph.D. Thesis, Lancaster University, UK (2002)Google Scholar
- 12.Chen, G., Kotz, K.: A Survey of Context-aware Mobile Computing Research. Technical report TR2000-381. Department of Computer Science, Dartmouth College, Dartmouth (2000)Google Scholar
- 14.Austaller, G., Kangasharju, J.: Using Web Services to Build Context-Aware Applications in Ubiquitous Computing. In: The 4th International Conference of Web Engineering. Munich, Germany, pp. 483–487 (2004)Google Scholar