New Point Addition Formulae for ECC Applications
In this paper we propose a new approach to point scalar multiplication on elliptic curves defined over fields of characteristic greater than 3. It is based on new point addition formulae that suit very well to exponentiation algorithms based on Euclidean addition chains. However finding small chains remains a very difficult problem, so we also develop a specific exponentiation algorithm, based on Zeckendorf representation (i.e. representing the scalar k using Fibonacci numbers instead of powers of 2), which takes advantage of our formulae.
Keywordselliptic curve scalar multiplication exponentiation Fibonacci addition chains
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Capocelli, R.M.: A generalization of fibonacci trees. In: Third In. Conf. on Fibonacci Numbers and their Applications (1988)Google Scholar
- Knudsen, E.W.: Elliptic scalar multiplication using point halving. In: Lam, K.-Y., Okamoto, E., Xing, C. (eds.) ASIACRYPT 1999. LNCS, vol. 1716, pp. 135–149. Springer, Heidelberg (1999)Google Scholar
- Miller, V.S.: Uses of elliptic curves in cryptography. In: Williams, H.C. (ed.) CRYPTO 1985. LNCS, vol. 218, pp. 417–428. Springer, Heidelberg (1986)Google Scholar
- Montgomery, P.: Evaluating Recurrences of form x m + n = f(x m,x n,x m − n) via Lucas chains (1983), Available at ftp.cwi.nl/pub/pmontgom/Lucas.ps.gz
- Solinas, J.A.: Improved algorithms for arithmetic on anomalous binary curves. Technical report, University of Waterloo (1999), http://www.cacr.math.uwaterloo.ca/techreports/1999/corr99-46.pdf