RNG-Based Scatternet Formation Algorithm for Small-Scale Ad-Hoc Networks
This paper addresses a RNG based scatternet topology formation, self-healing, and self-routing path optimization for small-scale environment, called RNG-FHR(Relative Neighborhood Graph-scatternet Formation, self-Healing and Routing path-optimization) algorithm. Then, we also evaluated the performance of the algorithm using ns-2 and extensible Bluetooth simulator called blueware to show that even though RNG-FHR does not have superior performance than any other algorithms, it is simpler and more practical from the viewpoint of deploying the network in the distributed dynamic small-scale ad-hoc networks due to the exchange of fewer messages and the only dependency on local information. As a result, we realize that RNG-FHR is unlikely to be reasonable for deploying in large-scale environment, however, it surely appeals for practical implementation in small-scale environment.
KeywordsBluetooth Piconet Scatternet RNG NS-2 Blueware
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Blueware: Bluetooth simulator for ns http://nms.lcs.mit.edu/projects/blueware/ http://nms.csail.mit.edu/projects/blueware/software
- 2.ns-2 Network Simulator http://www.isi.edu/vint/nsnam
- 3.Tan, G., Miu, A., Balakrishnan, H., Guttag, J.: An Efficient Scatternet Formation Algorithm for Dynamic Environments. In: IASTED International Conference on Communications and Computer Network(CCN02), Cambridge, MA (November 2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Tan, G., Guttag, J.: A Locally Coordinated Scatternet Scheduling Algorithm. In: The 27th Annual IEEE Conference on Local Computer Networks(LCN), Tampa, FL (November 2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Tan, G.: Blueware: Bluetooth Simulator for ns. MIT Technical Report, MIT-LCS-TR-866, Cambridge, MA (October 2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Vergetis, E., Guerin, R., Sarkar, S., Rank, J.: Can Bluetooth Succeed as a Large-Scale Ad Hoc Networking Technology? IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications 23(3) (March 2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Li, X.-Y., Wang, Y., Wan, P.-J., Song, W.-Z., Frieder, O.: Localized Low-Weight Graph and Its Applications in Wireless Ad Hoc Networks. In: IEEE INFOCOM 2004, IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Salonidis, T., Bhagwat, P., Tassiulas, L., LaMaire, R.: Distributed Topology Construction of Bluetooth Personal Area Networks. In: IEEE INFOCOM 2001, IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos (2001)Google Scholar
- 9.Petrioli, C., Basagni, S., Chlamtac, I.: Configuring BlueStars: Multihop Scatternet Formation for Bluetooth Networks. IEEE Transactions on Computers 52(6) (June 2003)Google Scholar
- 10.X.-Y., Li, Stojmenivic, I., Wang,Y.: Partial Delaunay Triangulation and Degree Limited Localized Bluetooth Scatternet Formation. IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems 15(4) (April 2004) Google Scholar
- 13.Stojmenovic, I., Zaguia, N.: Bluetooth scatternet formation in ad hoc wireless networks, University of Ottawa (September 2004) Google Scholar