Characterizing Safety of Integrated Services in Home Network System
This paper formalizes three kinds of safety to be satisfied by networked appliances and services in the emerging home network system (HNS). The local safety is defined by safety instructions of individual networked appliances. The global safety is specified as required properties of HNS services, which use multiple appliances simultaneously. The environment safety is derived from residential rules in home and surrounding environments. Based on the safety defined, we propose a modeling/validation framework for the safety. Specifically, we first introduce an object-oriented modeling technique to clarify the relationships among the appliances, the services and the home (environment) objects. We then employ the technique of Design by Contract with JML (Java Modeling Language), which achieves systematic safety validation through testing.
KeywordsSafety Property Integrate Service Safety Instruction Local Safety Global Safety
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.International Electrotechnical Commission. Household and similar electrical appliances — Safety. IEC 60335-1 (September 2006)Google Scholar
- 3.Leavens, G.T., Cheon, Y.: Design by Contract with JML. Java Modeling Language Project, Internet (2003) http://www.jmlspecs.org
- 4.Ledru, Y., du Bousquet, L., Maury, O., Bontron, P.: Filtering TOBIAS combinatorial test suites. In: Proceedings of ETAPS/FASE’04 - Fundamental Approaches to Software Engineering. LNCS, vol. 2984, Springer-Verlag, Heidelberg (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Leelaprute, P., Nakamura, M., Tsuchiya, T., Matsumoto, K., Kikuno, T.: Describing and Verifying Integrated Services of Home Network Systems. In: Proc of 12th Asia-Pacific Software Engineering Conference (APSEC), pp. 549–558 (December 2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Meyer, B.: Applying Design by Contract. IEEE Computer 25(10), 40–51 (1992)Google Scholar
- 7.Nakamura, M., Tanaka, A., Igaki, H., Tamada, H., Matsumoto, K.: Adapting Legacy Home Appliances to Home Network Systems Using Web Services. In: Proc. of Int’l Conf. on Web Services (ICWS 2006), pp. 849–858 (September 2006)Google Scholar
- 8.Nakamura, M., Igaki, H., Matsumoto, K.: Feature Interactions in Integrated Services of Networked Home Appliances -An Object-Oriented Approach. In: Proc. of Int’l. Conf. on Feature Interactions in Telecommunication Networks and Distributed Systems (ICFI’05), pp. 236–251 (July 2005)Google Scholar
- 9.The Java Modeling Language - JML http://www.cs.iastate.edu/~leavens/JML/
- 10.JUnit, Testing Resources for Extreme Programming http://www.junit.org/