A Generalized Critical Task Anticipation Technique for DAG Scheduling
The problem of scheduling a weighted directed acyclic graph (DAG) representing an application to a set of heterogeneous processors to minimize the completion time has been recently studied. The NP-completeness of the problem has instigated researchers to propose different heuristic algorithms. In this paper, we present a Generalized Critical-task Anticipation (GCA) algorithm for DAG scheduling in heterogeneous computing environment. The GCA scheduling algorithm employs task prioritizing technique based on CA algorithm and introduces a new processor selection scheme by considering heterogeneous communication costs among processors for adapting grid and scalable computing. To evaluate the performance of the proposed technique, we have developed a simulator that contains a parametric graph generator for generating weighted directed acyclic graphs with various characteristics. We have implemented the GCA algorithm along with the CA and HEFT scheduling algorithms on the simulator. The GCA algorithm is shown to be effective in terms of speedup and low scheduling costs.
KeywordsSchedule Algorithm Direct Acyclic Graph Critical Score Data Transfer Rate Exit Node
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bajaj, R., Agrawal, D.P.: Improving Scheduling of Tasks in a Heterogeneous Environment. IEEE Trans. on PDS 15(2), 107–118 (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Gary, M.R., Johnson, D.S.: Computers and Interactability: A guide to the Theory of NP-Completeness. W.H. Freeman and Co (1979)Google Scholar
- 6.Ilavarasan, E., Thambidurai, P., Mahilmannan, R.: Performance Effective Task Scheduling Algorithm for Heterogeneous Computing System. In: IEEE Proceedings of IPDPS, pp. 28–38 (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Ranaweera, S., Agrawal, D.P.: A Task Duplication Based Scheduling Algorithm for Heterogeneous Systems. In: IEEE Proceedings of IPDPS, pp. 445–450 (2000)Google Scholar
- 8.Sakellariou, R., Zhao, H.: A Hybrid Heuristic for DAG Scheduling on Heterogeneous Systems. In: Proc. of the IEEE IPDPS Workshop 1 (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Topcuoglu, H., Hariri, S., Min-You, W.: Performance-Effective and Low-Complexity Task Scheduling for Heterogeneous Computing. IEEE Transactions on PDS 13(3), 260–274 (2002)Google Scholar