An Efficient Source Peer Selection Algorithm in Hybrid P2P File Sharing Systems
We propose a source peer selection algorithm which efficiently chooses peers as sources from a set of peers having the requested file in a hybrid P2P file sharing system. Our proposed algorithm considers the energy factors as well as the communication issues and the peers’ contribution to the file sharing system. The core idea of our algorithm is to minimize the workload of the wireless peers, and to leave those jobs to cable connected peers which are much stronger than wireless ones. We validate our algorithm through comprehensive simulations, which show that the algorithm works correctly and effectively.
KeywordsEnergy Efficient File Sharing System Hybrid P2P Source Selection
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Top Tech News (2005), http://www.toptechnews.com/story.xhtml?story_id=38121
- 2.Karagiannis, T., Faloutsos, M.: P2P Technology Still Going Strong Despite Lawsuits, Fines (2004), http://www.newsroom.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/display.cgi?id=935
- 3.Milojicic, D., Kalogeraki, V., Lukose, R.: Peer-to-Peer Computing. Technical Report HPL-2002-57. HP Lab (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Agarwal, A., Gupta, A., Norman, O.: Self-Configuration and Self-Administration of Wireless Grids. MIT Sloan School of Management, Working Paper 4460-04 (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Ohrtman, F.: Voice over 802.11. ISBN: 1-58053-677-8, Artech House, Inc. (2004) Google Scholar
- 7.O’Shea, D.: A Standard Argument: Why WiMAX Will Rule. Telephony, pp. 4–9 (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Wongthavarawat, K., Ganz, A.: IEEE 802.16 Based Last Mile Broadband Wireless Military Networks with Quality of Service Support. In: IEEE Military Communication Conference, Boston, MA, pp. 779–784 (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Jia, W., Han, B., Fu, H., Shen, J., Yuen, C.: Efficient Implementation of 3G-324M Protocol Stack for Multimedia Communication. In: IEEE 11th International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Systems, Fukuoka, Japan (2005) Google Scholar
- 10.Leung, A., Kwok, Y.: On Topology Control of Wireless Peer-to-Peer File Sharing Networks: Energy Efficiency, Fairness and Incentive. In: Sixth IEEE International Symposium on World of Wireless Mobile and Multimedia Networks, pp. 318–323 (2005)Google Scholar
- 11.Bordetsky, A., Hutchins, S., Kemple, W., Bourakov, E.: Network Awareness for Wireless Peer-to-peer Collaborative Environments. In: Proceedings of the 37th Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, pp. 89–98 (2004)Google Scholar
- 12.Kang, S., Mutka, M.: Efficient Mobile Access to Internet Data via a Wireless Peer-to-peer Network. In: Proceedings of the Second IEEE Annual Conference on Pervasive Computing and Communications, pp. 197–205 (2004)Google Scholar