The Thread Migration Mechanism of DSM-PEPE
In this paper we present the thread migration mechanism of DSM-PEPE, a multithreaded distributed shared memory system. DSM systems like DSM-PEPE provide a parallel environment to harness the available computing power of computer networks. DSM systems offer a virtual shared memory space on top of a distributed-memory multicomputer, featuring the scalability and low cost of a multicomputer, and the ease of programming of a shared-memory multiprocessor.
DSM systems rely on data migration to make data available to running threads. The thread migration mechanism of DSM-PEPE was designed as an alternative to this data migration paradigm. Threads are allowed to migrate from one node to another, as needed by the computation. We show by experimentation the feasibility of the thread migration mechanism of DSM-PEPE as an alternative to improve application perfomance by enhancing spatial locality.
KeywordsThread migration distributed shared memory multithreading spatial locality
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Jenks, S., Gaudiot, J.L.: An evaluation of thread migration for exploiting distributed array locality. In (HPCS 2002). Proceedings of the 16th Annual International Symposium on High Performance Computing Systems and Applications, IEEE Computer Society, Washington, DC (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Meza, et al.: On the Design and Implementation of a Portable DSM System for Low-Cost Multicomputers. In: Kumar, V., Gavrilova, M., Tan, C.J.K., L’Ecuyer, P. (eds.) ICCSA 2003. LNCS, vol. 2667, pp. 967–976. Springer, Heidelberg (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Jenks, S., Gaudiot, J.L.: A multithreaded runtime system with thread migration for distributed memory parallel computing. In: Proceedings of High Performance Computing Symposium (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Jenks, S.: Multithreading and thread migration using mpi and myrinet. In: Proceedings of the Parallel and Distributed Computing and Systems (PDCS 2004) (2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Milton, S.: Thread Migration in Distributed Memory Multicomputers. Technical Report TR-CS-98-01, Dept of Comp Sci & Comp Sciences Lab, Australia National University, Canberra 0200 ACT, Australia (1998)Google Scholar
- 12.Chase, et al.: The Amber System: Parallel Programming on a Network of Multiprocessors. In: Proceedings of the 12th ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles, Litchfield Park AZ, USA, pp. 147–158 (1989)Google Scholar
- 13.Jiang, H., Chaudhary, V.: MigThread: Thread Migration in DSM Systems. In: Proceedings of the ICPP Workshop on Compile/Runtime Techniques for Parallel Computing (2002)Google Scholar
- 14.Jiang, H., Chaudhary, V.: Compile/Run-time Support for Thread Migration. In: 16th International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium, Fort Lauderdale, Florida (2002)Google Scholar