A Hybrid Method for Solving Large-Scale Supply Chain Problems
The strategic supply chain design problem which allows capacity shifts and budget limitations can be formulated as a linear program. Since facilities are allowed to be opened or shut down during the planning horizon, this problem is in fact a mixed integer problem. Choosing the optimal set of facilities to serve the customer demands is an NP-hard combinatorial optimization problem. We present a hybrid method combining an evolutionary algorithm and LP based solvers for solving large-scale supply chain problems, which takes its power from filtering out infeasible solutions. The EA incorporating these filters is shown to be faster than the MIP solver ILOG CPLEX in most of the considered instances. For the remaining instances it finds feasible solutions much faster than the MIP solver.
KeywordsEvolutionary Algorithm Penalty Cost Facility Location Problem ILOG CPLEX Feasible Combination
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Zhang, J.: Approximating the two-level facility location problem via a quasi-greedy approach. In: SODA’04: Proceedings of the 15th annual ACM-SIAM symposium on Discrete algorithms, Philadelphia, PA, USA, pp. 808–817. Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.ILOG S.A.: ILOG CPLEX User’s Manual. Gentilli, France (2006), http://www.cplex.com/
- 6.Cornuéjols, G.P., Nemhauser, G.L., Wolsey, L.A.: The uncapacitated facility location problem. In: Mirchandani, P.B., Francis, R.L. (eds.) Discrete Location Theory, pp. 119–171. Wiley, New York (1990)Google Scholar
- 7.Velásquez, R., Melo, M.T.: Solving a large-scale dynamic facility location problem with variable neighbourhood and token ring search. In: Proceedings of the 39th ORSNZ Conference, Auckland, NZ (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Melo, M.T., Nickel, S., da Gama, F.S.: Large-scale models for dynamic multi-commodity capacitated facility location. Technical Report 58, Fraunhofer Institut for Industrial Mathematics (ITWM), Kaiserslautern, Germany (2003), Available at http://www.itwm.fhg.de/