Quasi-periodic Pulsations as a Diagnostic Tool for Coronal Plasma Parameters
Quasi-periodic pulsations of radio emission generated in solar and stellar flares are interpreted in terms of MHD oscillations of coronal loops and in the frame of equivalent electric circuit approach, and compared with coronal wave and oscillatory phenomena recently discovered in the EUV, X-ray and visible light bands. Various methods of remote diagnostics of the coronal plasma, based upon the use of observationally detectable properties of quasi-periodic pulsations - their period, amplitude and quality - are discussed. The applicability of these methods to the diagnostics of stellar coronae is demonstrated.
KeywordsSolar Phys Wave Train Coronal Loop Coronal Plasma Kink Mode
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aschwanden, M. J.: in: Turbulence, Waves and Instabilities in the Solar Plasma, ed by R. Erdélyi et al., (Kluwer, 2003) p. 215Google Scholar
- Aschwanden, M. J.: Physics of the Solar Corona, (Springer Praxis Books, Netherlands 2004)Google Scholar
- Hanaoka, Y.: Proc. in Nobeyama Symposium NRO No 479, (eds. Bastian T., Gopalswamy N., Shibasaki K.,), 229 (1999)Google Scholar
- Mikhailovskii, A. B.: Plasma instability theory. Volume 1 - Instabilities in a homogeneous plasma, Moscow, Atomizdat (1975)Google Scholar
- Nakariakov, V.M.: Coronal oscillations. In: Dynamic Sun, ed by B. Dwivedi (Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 2003) pp. 314–334Google Scholar
- Zaitsev, V. V., Stepanov, A. V.: Issled. Geomagn. Aeron. Fiz. Solntsa 37, 3 (1975)Google Scholar