Pre-authentication for Fast Handoff in Wireless Mesh Networks with Mobile APs
Wireless mesh networks can extend the network service region by just adding APs. However wireless mesh networks also have the same security problems as the traditional wireless LAN. Until now, many methods have been proposed to solve the authentication problem, particularly for the fast handoff, in the traditional wireless LAN. However, previous methods are not efficient to the wireless mesh network with mobile APs because they just considered static APs. In this paper, we propose a new pre-authentication method for the wireless mesh network with mobile APs. We adapted the neighbor graph method of previous schemes for the compatibility. However, our method is suitable to the wireless mesh network by applying a Du et al’s key distribution. Furthermore, we present a formal analysis about our method by using a logic based formal analysis method.
KeywordsMedium Access Control Wireless Mesh Network Neighbor Graph Extensible Authentication Protocol Medium Access Control Address
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Alimian, A., Aboba, B.: IEEE 802.11-04/377r1 (March 2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Aboba, B., Blunk, L., Carlson, J., Levkowetz, H.: Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP). RFC 3748 (June 2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Burrows, M., Abadi, M., Needham, R.: A logic of authentication. ACM Transactions on Computer Systems, 18–36 (1990)Google Scholar
- 7.IEEE 802.11F: IEEE Trial-Use Recommended Practice for Multi-Vender Access Point Interoperability via an Inter-Access Point Protocol Across Distribution System Supporting IEEE 802.11 Operation (July 2003)Google Scholar
- 8.IEEE 802.11i: Amendment 6: Medium Access Control (MAC) Security Enhancements, IEEE Computer Society (July 2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Mishra, A., Shin, M., Arbaugh, W.: Pro-active Key Distribution using Neighbor Graphs. IEEE Wireless Communication 11 (2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Pack, S., Choi, Y.: Fast Inter-AP Handoff using predictive authentication scheme in a public wireless LAN. In: Proceedings of IEEE Networks Conference, Atlanta, GA, Aug., IEEE, Los Alamitos (2002)Google Scholar
- 12.Rigney, C., Willens, S., Rubens, A., Simpson, W.: Remote Authentication Dia. In: User Service (RADIUS). RFC 2865 (June 2000)Google Scholar
- 13.Wang, J., Bao, L.: Mobile Context Handoff in Distributed IEEE 802.11 Systems. In: International Conference on Wireless Networks, Communications, and Mobile Computing(WIRELESSCOM), Maui, HI, June 13-16 (2005)Google Scholar