Using Nested Surfaces for Visual Detection of Structures in Databases
We define, compute, and evaluate nested surfaces for the purpose of visual data mining. Nested surfaces enclose the data at various density levels, and make it possible to equalize the more and less pronounced structures in the data. This facilitates the detection of multiple structures, which is important for data mining where the less obvious relationships are often the most interesting ones. The experimental results illustrate that surfaces are fairly robust with respect to the number of observations, easy to perceive, and intuitive to interpret. We give a topology-based definition of nested surfaces and establish a relationship to the density of the data. Several algorithms are given that compute surface grids and surface contours, respectively.
KeywordsProbability Density Function Density Level Visual Detection Grid Line Data Cube
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Scot, D.W.: Multivariate Density Estimation. Wiley & Sons, New York (1992)Google Scholar
- 4.Wegman, E.J., Luo, Q.: Visualizing Densities. Technical Report Report No. 100, Center for Computational Statistics, George Mason University (1994)Google Scholar
- 5.van den Eijkel, G.C., Van der Lubbe, J.C.A., Backer, E.: A Modulated Parzen-Windows Approach for Probability Density Estimation. IDA (1997)Google Scholar
- 6.Bredon, G.E.: Topology and Geometry. Springer, Heidelberg (1995)Google Scholar
- 7.Shen, H., Johnson, C.: Sweeping Simplicies: A Fast Isosurface Extraction Algorithm for Unstructured Grids (1995)Google Scholar
- 9.Devroy, L., Gyorfi, L.: Nonparametric Density Estimation. Jhon Wiley & Sons, Chichester (1984)Google Scholar
- 10.Farmen, M., Marron, J.S.: An Assesment of Finite Sample Performace of Adaptive Methods inDensity Estimation. Computational Statistics and Data Analysis (1998)Google Scholar
- 11.Jones, M.C., Wand, M.P.: Kernel Smoothing. Chapman & Hall, London (1985)Google Scholar
- 12.Lorensen, W., Cline, H.: Marchine cubes: A high resolution 3d surface construction algorithm (1987)Google Scholar