Digital Control of High Performance Power Supplies for a Synchrotron Light Source
Design and control of Power Supplies (PSs) feeding the magnets of a Synchrotron Light Source have to match severe specifications; high accuracy in the range of ppm in output current tracking is required for the correct operation of the magnets, while a Power Factor (PF) close to the unit is demanded at the input section due to the high power involved.
In this paper an advanced control strategy is presented for a particular kind of Quadrupole Magnet Power Supply, where variable output current has to be imposed. The case of the “switch-mode” multilevel power converter for booster quadrupole magnets of the DIAMOND synchrotron radiation facility under construction at the Harwell Chilton Science Campus, Didcot, has been considered.
High accuracy in the tracking of the desired output current reference is reached by means of a digital internal model-based controller. A multivariable controller is adopted in order to ensure current balancing between the stages of the multilevel converter.
Front-end topology selection, proper dimensioning and control design are exploited to guarantee high power factor and low harmonic distortion of the input currents, and to avoid low-frequency components related to the quadrupole magnets’ oscillating currents. For this purpose, confined oscillatory behavior imposed to the voltage of the DC-link capacitors plays a key role.
Simulations and experimental validations are reported that confirm the expected results.
KeywordsInternal Model Control Multilevel AC-AC Converters Digital Control of Power Converters
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.The CANDLE web site [Online] Available: http://www.candle.am/~TDA/Google Scholar
- 2.The DIAMOND web site [Online] Available: http://www.diamond.ac.uk/Google Scholar
- 3.Marks N, Poole D (1996) The Choice of Power Converter Systems for a 3GeV Booster Synchrotron, in Proceedings of 5th European Particle Accelerator Coonference, Sitges, Spain, pages 2331–2333Google Scholar
- 4.Burkmann K, Schindhelm G, Scheegans T (1998) Performance of the White Circuits of the BESSY II Booster Synchrotron, in Proceedings of 6th European Particle Accelerator Coonference, Stockholm, Sweden, pages 2062–2064Google Scholar
- 5.Hettel R, Averill R, Baltay M, Brennan S, Harris C, Horton M, Jach C, Sebek J, Voss J (1991) The 10Hz Resonant Magnet Power Supply for SSRL 3GeV Injector, in Proceedings of IEEE Particle Accelerator Coonference, San Francisco, pages 926–928Google Scholar
- 6.Griffiths S, Charnley G, Marks N, Theed J (2002) A Power Converter Overview for the DIAMOND Storage Ring Magnets, in Proceedings of 8th European Particle Accelerator Coonference, Paris, pages 2472–2474Google Scholar
- 7.Bellomo P, de Lira A (2004) SPEAR3 Intermediate DC Magnet Power Supplies, in Proceedings of 9th European Particle Accelerator Coonference, Lucerne, pages 1798–1800Google Scholar
- 8.Irminger G, Horvat M, Jenni F, Boksberger H (1998) A 3Hz, 1MWpeak Bending Magnet Power Supply for the Swiss Light Source (SLS), Paul Scherrer InstitutGoogle Scholar
- 9.Jenni F, Tanner L, Horvat M (2002) A Novel Control Concept for Highest Precision Accelerator Power Supplies, in Proceedings of 10th International Power Electronics and Motion Control Conference, Cavtat & DubrovnikGoogle Scholar
- 10.Jenni F, Boksberger H, Irminger G (1999) DC-Link Control for a 1MVA-3Hz Single Phase Power Supply, in Proceedings of 30th Annual IEEE Power Electronics Specialists Conference, Charleston, vo2l, pages 1172–1176Google Scholar
- 11.Pett J, Barnett I, Fernqvist G, Hundzinger D, Perreard J-C (1996) A Strategy for Controlling the LHC Magnet Currents, in Proceedings 5th European Particle Accelerator Coonference, Sitges, Spain, pages 2317–2319Google Scholar
- 12.King Q, Barnett I, Hundzinger D, Pett J (1999) Developments in the High Precision Control of Magnet Currents for LHC, in Proceedings of IEEE Particle Accelerator Coonference, New York, pages 3743–3745Google Scholar
- 13.Dobbing J A, Abraham C A, Rushton R J, Cagnolati F, Pretelli M P C, Sita L, Facchini G, Rossi C (2006) Diamond booster magnet power converters, in Proceedings of 10th European Particle Accelerator Conference, Edinburgh, UK, pages 2664–2666Google Scholar
- 15.U-97, Modelling, analysis and compensation of the current-mode converter, pages 278–291Google Scholar