802.15.3 Transmitter: A Fast Design Cycle Using OFDM Framework in Bluespec
Orthogonal Frequency-Division Multiplexing (OFDM) has become the preferred modulation scheme for both broadband and high bitrate digital wireless protocols because of its spectral efficiency and robustness against multipath interference. Although the components and overall structure of different OFDM protocols are functionally similar, the characteristics of the environment for which a wireless protocol is designed often result in different instantiations of various components. In this paper we present a new baseband processing transmitter case, namely 802.15.3 (WUSB), to existing OFDM framework which consists highly parametrized code in Bluespec for two different wireless baseband processing cases, namely 802.11a (WiFi) and 802.16 (WiMAX). The design cycle for transmitter of WUSB took only six week’s for two designers which were not familiar with Bluespec, WUSB protocol or the OFDM framework.
KeywordsOFDM Symbol Multipath Interference Convolutional Encoder Wireless Protocol Baseband Processing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ng, M.C., Vijayaraghavan, M., Dave, N., Arvind, Raghavan, G., Hicks, J.: From WiFi to WiMAX: Techniques for high-level ip reuse across different OFDM protocols. In: Proc. IEEE MEMOCODE, Nice, France, pp. 71–80 (2007)Google Scholar
- 2.Arvind, Nikhil, R.S., Rosenband, D.L., Dave, N.: High-level Synthesis: An Essential Ingredient for Designing Complex ASICs. In: Proceedings of ICCAD 2004, San Jose, CA (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Dave, N., Pellauer, M., Gerding, S., Arvind: 802.11a Transmitter: A Case Study in Microarchitectural Exploration. In: Proceedings of Formal Methods and Models for Codesign (MEMOCODE), Napa, CA (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Mathew, J., Maharatna, K., Pradhan, D., Vinod, A.P.: Exploration of power optimal implementation technique of 128-pt fft/ifft for wpan using pseudo-parallel datapath structure. In: Proc. IEEE ICCS, Singapore, pp. 1–5 (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.Chen, S., Yu, Y., Chen, B., Lai, S., Zeng, Y., Zhang, Y., Wang, C.: Design of a 128-point fourier transform chip for uwb applications. In: Proc. IEEE ICSICT, Shanghai, China, pp. 1957–1959 (2006)Google Scholar
- 8.IEEE: 802.15 High Rate Alternative PHY Task Group (tg3a) for Wireless Personal Area Networks, Multi-band OFDM physical layer proposal for IEEE 802.15 Task Group 3a, IEEE P802.15-03Google Scholar