Assertion Checking Unified
- 407 Downloads
We revisit the connection between equality assertion checking in programs and unification that was recently described in . Using a general formalization of this connection, we establish interesting connections between the complexity of assertion checking in programs and unification theory of the underlying program expressions. In particular, we show that assertion checking is: (a) PTIME for programs with nondeterministic conditionals that use expressions from a strict unitary theory, (b) coNP-hard for programs with nondeterministic conditionals that use expressions from a bitary theory, and (c) decidable for programs with disequality guards that use expressions from a convex finitary theory. These results generalize several recently published results and also establish several new results. In essence, they provide new techniques for backward analysis of programs based on novel integration of theorem proving technology in program analysis.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Baader, F., Snyder, W.: Unification theory. In: Handbook of Automated Reasoning, vol. 1, pp. 445–532. Elsevier Science, Amsterdam (2001)Google Scholar
- 2.Cousot, P.: Types as abstract interpretations. In: POPL, pp. 316–331 (1997)Google Scholar
- 3.Cousot, P., Cousot, R.: Abstract interpretation: A unified lattice model for static analysis of programs by construction or approximation of fixpoints. In: 4th Annual ACM Symposium on POPL, pp. 234–252 (1977)Google Scholar
- 5.Gulwani, S., Jojic, N.: Program verification as inference in belief networks. Technical Report MSR-TR-2006-98, Microsoft Research (July 2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Gulwani, S., Necula, G.C.: A polynomial-time algorithm for global value numbering. In: Giacobazzi, R. (ed.) SAS 2004. LNCS, vol. 3148, pp. 212–227. Springer, Heidelberg (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Gulwani, S., Tiwari, A.: Assertion checking unified. MSR-TR-2006-99 (July 2006)Google Scholar
- 9.Gulwani, S., Tiwari, A.: Combining abstract interpreters. In: PLDI (June 2006)Google Scholar
- 11.Karr, M.: Affine relationships among variables of a program. In: Acta Informatica, pp. 133–151. Springer, Heidelberg (1976)Google Scholar
- 12.Müller-Olm, M., Rüthing, O., Seidl, H.: Checking Herbrand equalities and beyond. In: Cousot, R. (ed.) VMCAI 2005. LNCS, vol. 3385, pp. 79–96. Springer, Heidelberg (2005)Google Scholar
- 13.Müller-Olm, M., Seidl, H.: A note on Karr’s algorithm. In: Díaz, J., et al. (eds.) ICALP 2004. LNCS, vol. 3142, pp. 1016–1028. Springer, Heidelberg (2004)Google Scholar