Head Pose Detection Based on Fusion of Multiple Viewpoint Information
This paper presents a novel approach to the problem of determining head pose estimation and face 3D orientation of several people in low resolution sequences from multiple calibrated cameras. Spatial redundancy is exploited and the head in the scene is detected and geometrically approximated by an ellipsoid. Skin patches from each detected head are located in each camera view. Data fusion is performed by back-projecting skin patches from single images onto the estimated 3D head model, thus providing a synthetic reconstruction of the head appearance. Finally, these data are processed in a pattern analysis framework thus giving an estimation of face orientation. Tracking over time is performed by Kalman filtering. Results of the proposed algorithm are provided in the SmartRoom scenario of the CLEAR Evaluation.
KeywordsInformation Fusion Head Model Camera View Face Orientation Skin Patch
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Brolly, X., Stratelos, C., Mulligan, J.: Model-based head pose estimation for air-traffic controllers. In: Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Image Processing, pp. 113–116 (2003)Google Scholar
- 2.Canton-Ferrer, C., Casas, J.R., Pardàs, M.: Towards a Bayesian Approach to Robust Finding Correspondences in Multiple View Geometry Environments. In: Sunderam, V.S., van Albada, G.D., Sloot, P.M.A., Dongarra, J.J. (eds.) ICCS 2005. LNCS, vol. 3515, pp. 281–289. Springer, Heidelberg (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Chen, M., Hauptmann, A.: Towards Robust Face Recognition from Multiple Views. In: Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Multimedia and Expo (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Martinkauppim, B.: Face colour under varying illumination-Analysis and applications. PhD Thesis, University of Oulu (2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Mikic, I.: Human Body Model Acquisition and Trackign using Multi-Camera Voxel Data. PhD Thesis, Univ. of California (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Stauffer, C., Grimson, W.: Adaptive background mixture models for real-time tracking. In: Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pp. 252–259. IEEE Press, Los Alamitos (1999)Google Scholar
- 9.Yang, J., Lu, W., Waible, A.: Skin-colour modeling and adaptation. Technical Report, Carnegie Mellon University, CMU-CS-97-146Google Scholar