Optimal Extension Field Inversion in the Frequency Domain
In this paper, we propose an adaptation of the Itoh-Tsujii algorithm to the frequency domain for efficient inversion in a class of Optimal Extension Fields. To the best of our knowledge, this is the first time a frequency domain finite field inversion algorithm is proposed for elliptic curve cryptography. We believe the proposed algorithm would be well suited especially for efficient low-power hardware implementation of elliptic curve cryptography using affine coordinates in constrained small devices such as smart cards and wireless sensor network nodes.
KeywordsElliptic curve cryptography finite fields inversion discrete Fourier transform number theoretic transform
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bailey, D.V., Paar, C.: Optimal Extension Fields for Fast Arithmetic in Public-Key Algorithms. In: Krawczyk, H. (ed.) CRYPTO 1998. LNCS, vol. 1462, pp. 472–485. Springer, Heidelberg (1998)Google Scholar
- 3.Baktır, S.: Efficient Algorithms for Finite Fields, with Applications in Elliptic Curve Cryptography. Master’s thesis, Electrical and Computer Engineering Department, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Worcester, MA, USA (April 2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Baktır, S., Sunar, B.: Frequency Domain Finite Field Arithmetic for Elliptic Curve Cryptography (preprint, 2007), http://www.wpi.edu/~selcuk/DFTmultExpanded_preprint.pdf
- 8.Burrus, C.S., Parks, T.W.: DFT/FFT and Convolution Algorithms. John Wiley & Sons, Chichester (1985)Google Scholar
- 10.Guajardo, J., Paar, C.: Itoh-Tsujii Inversion in Standard Basis and Its Application in Cryptography. Design, Codes, and Cryptography (25), 207–216 (2002)Google Scholar
- 11.Hinton, G., Sager, D., Upton, M., Boggs, D., Carmean, D., Kyker, A., Roussel, P.: The Microarchitecture of the Pentium 4 Processor. Intel Technology Journal Q1 (2001)Google Scholar
- 16.Saldamlı, G., Koç, Ç.K.: Spectral Modular Exponentiation. In: Proceedings of the 18th IEEE Symposium on Computer Arithmetic (2007)Google Scholar
- 17.Woodbury, A., Bailey, D.V., Paar, C.: Elliptic Curve Cryptography on Smart Cards without Coprocessors. In: IFIP CARDIS 2000, Fourth Smart Card Research and Advanced Application Conference, Bristol, UK, September 20–22, 2000. Kluwer, Dordrecht (2000)Google Scholar