Fuzzy ARTMAP Neural Network for Classifying the Financial Health of a Firm
In this paper, an application, based on data from a popular dataset, shows in an empirical form the strengths and weaknesses of fuzzy ARTMAP neural networks as predictor of corporate bankruptcy. This is an advantageous approach enabling fast learning, self-determination of the network structure and high prediction accuracy. Experiments showed that the fuzzy ARTMAP outperforms statistical techniques and the most popular backpropagation MLP neural networks, all applied to the same dataset. An exhaustive search procedure over the Altman’s financial ratios leads to the conclusion that two of them are enough to obtain the highest prediction accuracy. The experiments also showed that the model is not sensitive to outliers of the dataset. Our research is the first to use fuzzy ARTMAP neural networks for bankruptcy prediction.
Keywordsdata mining neural networks fuzzy ARTMAP
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Bell, T., Ribar, G., Verchio, J.R.: Neural Nets vs. Logistic Regression: a Comparison of each Model’s Ability to Predict Commercial Bank Failures. In: Proc. of the 1990 Deloitte & Touche / University of Kansas Symposium on Auditing Problems, pp. 29–53 (1990)Google Scholar
- 3.Brigham, E.F., Gapenski, L.C.: Financial Management Theory and Practice. Dryden Press, New York (1991)Google Scholar
- 6.Coats, P., Fant, L.: Recognizing Financial Distress Patterns Using Neural Network Tool. Financial Management, 142–155 (November 1993)Google Scholar
- 14.Odom, M., Sharda, R.L.: A Neural Network Model for Bankruptcy Prediction. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Neural Networks, pp. 163–168 (1990)Google Scholar
- 15.Odom, M., Sharda, R.: A Neural Network Model for Bankruptcy Prediction. In: Trippi, R.R., Turban, E. (eds.) Neural Networks in Finance and Investing, Probus (1993)Google Scholar
- 16.Rahimian, E., Singh, S., Thammachacote, T., Virmani, R.: Bankruptcy prediction by neural networks. In: Trippi, R., Turban, E. (eds.) Neural Networks in Finance and Investing, Probus Publ., Chicago (1993)Google Scholar