The Contact Scheduling Process of the Galileo Navigation System
Galileo  is a joint initiative of the European Commission and the European Space Agency (ESA) for the development of a Global Satellite Navigation System. This system will provide a highly accurate, guaranteed global positioning service under civilian control. The fully deployed Galileo system consists of 30 satellites (27 operational + 3 spares) and 5 globally distributed ground stations. The Spacecraft Constellation Planning Facility is the element responsible for generating the plans of contacts between satellites and ground stations for the entire constellation for the purpose of maintenance and corrective actions. This element includes the Contact Scheduler, the component with the scheduling functionalities of generating conflict free Contact Plans. This document describes the Galileo’s contact scheduling problem, the design and implementation of the scheduler and the validation results.
KeywordsPlanning and Scheduling Heuristic Search
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.European Commission, European Space Agency: High Level Mission Definition, version 3.0 (2002) http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/energy_transport/galileo/doc/galileo_hld_v3_23_09_02.pdf
- 2.Moreira, F., Hall, S., Franco, T.: GAL-TN-SSL-SCPF-I-000001, Contact Scheduling Process Specification, Issue 1.1. Galileo Detail Design Document (2006)Google Scholar
- 3.SciSys: S7350/REP/001, Mission Management Team, ARTES IV: Mission Management Study Final Report (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.ESA ARTES IV Programme (2007), http://telecom.esa.int/telecom/www/object/index.cfm?fobjectid=5363
- 5.Russell, S., Norvig, P.: Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach, ch. 5, 2nd edn. Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.ILOG OPL-CPLEX Development System, http://www.ilog.com/products/oplstudio/
- 7.Gurari, E.: Backtracking algorithms CIS 680: DATA STRUCTURES: ch. 19: Backtracking Algorithms (1999)Google Scholar
- 8.Franco, T.: GAL-RPT-CSW-SCPF-R/0002 Contact Scheduler Prototype Development Report – Issue 1.1, Galileo Validation Report, 04-04 (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Franco, T.: GAL-RPT-CSW-SCPF-R/0002 Contact Scheduler Prototype Development Report – Issue 2.0, Galileo Validation Report, 04-10 (2007)Google Scholar
- 10.Astrium, E.: GAL-REQ-ASTU-SCPF-R/0121 GCS Element Requirements Document for the Spacecraft Constellation Facility – Issue 3.0, Galileo Requirements Document (2007)Google Scholar