A Knowledge-Based System for Fashion Trend Forecasting
In this paper, we show how artificial intelligence techniques can be applied for the forecasting of trends in the high creative domain of fashion.
We describe a knowledge-based system that, starting from a set of keywords and pictures representing the concepts on which a fashion stylist chooses to base a new collection, is able to automatically create a trend forecast composed by the set of colors that better express these target concepts.
In order to model the knowledge used by the system to forecast trends, we experimented Bayesian networks. This kind of model is learned from a dataset of past trends by using different algorithms. We show how Bayesian networks can be used to make the forecast and the experiments made in order to evaluate their performances.
KeywordsBayesian Network Data Mining Technique Picture Color Conditional Probability Table Past Trend
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Aaron. Home Page: http://www.kurzweilcyberart.com/aaron/history.html
- 2.Boden, M.: Agents and Creativity. Communications of the ACM (1994)Google Scholar
- 3.Cohen, H.: The further exploits of aaron, painter. Stanford Humanities Review 4(2) (1994)Google Scholar
- 5.Genie. Home Page: http://genie.sis.pitt.edu/
- 6.Imagelab, universita’ di urbino. Home Page: http://imagelab.w3n.it/
- 7.Johnson-Laird, P.: Jazz Improvisation: A theory at the computational level. TRepresenting Musical Structure. Academic Press, London (1991)Google Scholar
- 10.Mello, P., Storari, S., Valli, B.: Application of machine learning techniques for the forecasting of fashion trends. Intelligenza Artificiale (to appear, 2008)Google Scholar
- 11.Minsky, M.: The Society of Mind. Simon and Schster, New York (1986)Google Scholar
- 12.Pearl, J., Russell, S.: Bayesian networks. In: Arbib, M.A. (ed.) The Handbook of Brain Theory and Neural Networks, MIT Press, Cambridge (2003)Google Scholar
- 13.Quinlan, R.: Induction of decision trees. Machine Learning 1(1), 81–106 (1986)Google Scholar