Document Clustering Based on Spectral Clustering and Non-negative Matrix Factorization
In this paper, we propose a novel non-negative matrix factorization (NMF) to the affinity matrix for document clustering, which enforces non-negativity and orthogonality constraints simultaneously. With the help of orthogonality constraints, this NMF provides a solution to spectral clustering, which inherits the advantages of spectral clustering and presents a much more reasonable clustering interpretation than the previous NMF-based clustering methods. Furthermore, with the help of non-negativity constraints, the proposed method is also superior to traditional eigenvector-based spectral clustering, as it can inherit the benefits of NMF-based methods that the non-negative solution is institutive, from which the final clusters could be directly derived. As a result, the proposed method combines the advantages of spectral clustering and the NMF-based methods together, and hence outperforms both of them, which is demonstrated by experimental results on TDT2 and Reuters-21578 corpus.
KeywordsDocument Clustering Spectral Clustering Non-negative Matrix Factorization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Li, T., Ma, S., Ogihara, M.: Document Clustering via Adaptive Subspace Iteration. In: Proceedings of the 27th ACM SIGIR Conference, pp. 218–225 (2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Xu, W., Liu, X., Gong, Y.: Document Clustering Based on Non-Negative Matrix Factorization. In: Proceedings of the 26th ACM SIGIR Conference, pp. 267–273 (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Xu, W., Liu, X., Gong, Y.: Document Clustering by Concept Factorization. In: Proceedings of the 27th ACM SIGIR Conference, pp. 202–209 (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Chan, P.K., Schlag, D.F., Zien, J.Y.: Spectral K-way Ratio-cut Partitioning and Clustering. IEEE Trans. on CAD 13, 1088–1096 (1994)Google Scholar
- 6.Ding, C., He, X., Zha, H., et al.: A Min-max Cut Algorithm for Graph Partitioning and Data Clustering. In: Proceedings of the 2001 IEEE ICDM Conference, pp. 107–114 (2001)Google Scholar
- 7.von Luxburg, U.: A Tutorial on Spectral Clustering. Technical Report No. TR-149, Max Planck Institute for Biological Cybernetics (2006)Google Scholar
- 9.Lee, D.D., Seung, H.S.: Algorithms for Non-negative Matrix Factorization. Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems 13, 556–562 (2001)Google Scholar
- 11.Ding, C., He, X., Simon, H.D.: On the Equivalence of Nonnegative Matrix Factorization and Spectral Clustering. In: Proceedings of the 2005 SIAM Data Mining Conference, pp. 606–610 (2005)Google Scholar
- 12.Lütkepohl, H.: Handbook of Matrices. Wiley, Chichester (1997)Google Scholar
- 13.Long, B., Zhang, A., Wu, X., et al.: Relational Clustering by Symmetric Convex Coding. In: Proceeding of the 24th International Conference on Machine Learning, pp. 680–687 (2007)Google Scholar