The Grain Family of Stream Ciphers
A new family of stream ciphers, Grain, is proposed. Two variants, a 80-bit and a 128-bit variant are specified, denoted Grain and Grain-128 respectively. The designs target hardware environments where gate count, power consumption and memory are very limited. Both variants are based on two shift registers and a nonlinear output function. The ciphers also have the additional feature that the speed can be easily increased at the expense of extra hardware.
KeywordsBoolean Function Output Function Stream Cipher Bend Function Algebraic Degree
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Hawkes, P., Rose, G.: Primitive specification for SOBER-128. Cryptology ePrint Archive, Report 2003/081 (2003), http://eprint.iacr.org/
- 5.Khazaei, S., Hassanzadeh, M., Kiaei, M.: Distinguishing attack on Grain. eSTREAM, ECRYPT Stream Cipher Project, Report2005/071 (2005), http://www.ecrypt.eu.org/stream
- 7.Hell, M.: On the design and analysis of stream ciphers. PhD thesis, Lund University (2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Babbage, S.: A space/time tradeoff in exhaustive search attacks on stream ciphers. In: European Convention on Security and Detection. IEE Conference Publication, vol. 408 (1995)Google Scholar
- 9.Golić, J.: Cryptanalysis of alleged A5 stream cipher. In: Fumy, W. (ed.) EUROCRYPT 1997. LNCS, vol. 1233, pp. 239–255. Springer, Heidelberg (1997)Google Scholar
- 12.Hoch, J., Shamir, A.: Fault analysis of stream ciphers. In: Joye, M., Quisquater, J.-J. (eds.) CHES 2004. LNCS, vol. 3156, pp. 240–253. Springer, Heidelberg (2004)Google Scholar