Computer Assisted Analysis of Echocardiographic Image Sequences
In this paper we present a semi-automatic system for the analysis of echocardiographic image sequences, able to provide useful information to cardiologists. The proposed approach combines well known techniques for the detection of left ventricular boundaries with the computation of optical flow. The initial detection of the cavity contour is based on an improved balloon model, the computation of optical flow is performed with a correlation technique and the contour tracking is obtained combining motion information provided by the optical flow with a snake-based regularization. The system is able to follow precisely the cavities motion, to provide several quantitative features of the heart beat and a dynamic representation of systolic and diastolic motion. Preliminary experimental results are presented and commented.
KeywordsOptical Flow Active Contour Model Left Ventricular Cavity Echocardiographic Image Ischemic Episode
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.R. E. Kreber, M. L. Marcus, “Evaluation of regional miocardial function in ischemic heart disease by echocardiography”. Prog. Cardiovasc. Dis. 20: 41 (1978).Google Scholar
- 7.L.D. Cohen and Isaac Cohen, “A finite element method applied to new active contour models and 3D reconstructions from cross-sections ” Proc. of 3rd Int. Conf. on Comp. Vision, pp. 587–591 (1990).Google Scholar
- 8.A. Blake et al. “Affine-invariant contour tracking with automatic control of spatiotemporal scale” Proc. 4th I.C.C.V. pp. 66–75 (1993).Google Scholar
- 9.I. L. Herlin and N. Ayache, “Features Extraction and Analysis Methods for sequences of Ultrasound Images” Proc. 2nd E.C.C.V., pp. 43–55 (1992).Google Scholar
- 10.I. L. Herlin, D. Breziat, G. Giraudin, C. Nguyen and C. Graffigne, “Segmentation of echocardiographic images with Markov random fields” Proc. 3rd E.C.C.V., 2 pp. 201–206 (1994).Google Scholar
- 13.S. C. Armatur and H. J. Vesselle, “A New Approach to Study Cardiac Motion: The Optical Flow of Cine MR Images”. Nuclear M. R. in Medicine 12, 59–67.Google Scholar