Using a 3D Position Sensor for Registration of SPECT and US Images of the Kidney
The correlation of functional images of the kidney with anatomical images is important to improve diagnosis and treatment. We propose a method to register SPECT (Single Photon Emission Computed Tomography) and US (ultrasound) images of the kidney that consists in tracking the US probe in the space thanks to an optical three-dimensional position sensor. This method has been experimented on three patients and has provided very promising results.
KeywordsSingle Photon Emission Compute Tomography Rigid Body SPECT Image Position Sensor SPECT System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. McBiles. Correlative Imaging of the Kidney. In Seminars in Nuclear Medecine, volume 14(3), pages 219–233, july 1994.Google Scholar
- 2.S. Lavallee. Registration for Computer Integrated Surgery: methodology, state of the art. In R. Taylor, S. Lavallee, G. Burdea, and R. Mosges, editors, Computer Integrated Surgery (to appear). MIT Press, 1995.Google Scholar
- 3.P.A. van den Elsen, E.J. Pol, and M.A. Viergever. Medical Image Matching - A Review with Classification. In IEEE Eng. Med. Biol., volume 12(1), pages 26–39, march 1993.Google Scholar
- 4.O. Peria, S. Lavallee, G. Champleboux, A.F. Joubert, J.F. Lebas, and P. Cinquin. Millimetric registration of SPECT and MR images of the brain without headholders. In IEEE Engineering Medicine Biology Society (EMBS), volume 1, pages 14–15, San Diego, november 1993.Google Scholar
- 5.O. Peria, A. Francois-joubert, S. Lavallee, G. Champleboux, P. Cinquin, and S. Grand. Accurate registration of SPECT and MR brain images of patients suffering from epilepsy or tumor. In MRCAS 94, Medical Robotics and Computer Assisted Surgery, volume 1, pages 58–62, Pittsburgh, PA, september 1994.Google Scholar
- 6.K.S. Arun, T.S. Huang, and S.D. Blostein. Least-squares fitting of two 3-D point sets. IEEE Trans. Pattern Anal. Machine Intell., PAMI-9(5): 698–700, 1987.Google Scholar
- 7.S. Umeyama. Least-squares estimation of transformation parameters between two point patterns. IEEE Trans. Pattern Anal. Machine Intell., PAMI-13 (4): 376–380, 1991.Google Scholar
- 9.W. H. Press, B. P. Flannery, S. A. Teukolsky, and W. T. Vetterling. Numerical Recipes in C: The Art of Scientific Computing. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, England, second edition, 1992.Google Scholar