Coherent Vortex Simulation (CVS) of 2D bluff body flows using an adaptive wavelet method with penalisation
In this paper we present an adaptive wavelet method to integrate the velocity-vorticity formulation of the two-dimensional Navier-Stokes equations coupled with a penalisation technique to handle easily solid boundaries of arbitrary shape. The validity of this method, called Coherent Vortex Simulation (CVS), is demonstrated by computing flows past different bluff bodies. Firstly, we show the computation of a flow around an impulsively started cylinder at Reynolds number 3000. The results are compared with those of a DNS using a spectral method and with others computed with two different vortex methods. Secondly, we also present simulations of a flow around a NACA air-foil profile at Reynolds number 1000.
KeywordsDirect Numerical Simulation Wavelet Coefficient Bluff Body Vortex Method Orthonormal Wavelet
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- E. Arquis and J.P. Caltagirone. Sur les conditions hydrodynamique au voisinage d’une interface millieux fluide-millieu poreux: application à la convection naturelle. C. R. Acad. Sci. Paris, 299, 1–4, 1984.Google Scholar
- C. Beta, K. Schneider and M. Farge. CVS filtering to study mixing in 2D isotropic turbulence. Preprint LMD ENS-Paris, December 2001, Phys. Rev. Lett., submitted.Google Scholar
- M. Forestier, R. Pasquetti and R. Peyret. Calculations of 3D wakes in stratified fluids. ECCOMAS, 2000.Google Scholar
- K. Schneider, M. Farge, E Koster and M. Griebel. Adaptive wavelet methods for the Navier—Stokes equations. Notes on Numerical Fluid Mechanics (Ed. E. H. Hirschel), 75, Springer, 303–318, 2001.Google Scholar
- K. Schneider and M. Farge. Adaptive wavelet simulation of a flow around an impulsively started cylinder using penalisation. Appl. Comput. Harm. Anal., accepted.Google Scholar
- K. Schneider. An adaptive wavelet method for 2D turbulence in complex geometries. Preprint. CMI Université de Provence, Marseille 2001.Google Scholar
- K. Schneider. Modélisation et simulation numérique en base d’ondelettes adaptative, applications en mécanique des fluides et en combustion. Habilitation thesis. Université Louis Pasteur Strasbourg, 2001.Google Scholar