Computation of Turbulent Flows with Separation
The results of collaboration of two research groups whose aim is the simulation of turbulent flows with separation are presented. An important aspect of the collaboration was further development, optimization, and validation of the codes used at the two sites. This required detailed analysis of iteration and discretization errors as well as implementation details to ensure that the same grid-independent result is obtained when the same problem is solved using the two codes. Upon validation the codes were applied to some complex turbulent flows with separation and the results were compared with available experimental data in order to assess the modeling errors. Here the results of computations of flows around an airfoil, a vehicle model, and a circular cylinder are presented.
KeywordsTurbulence Model Circular Cylinder Discretization Error Separate Flow Slant Angle
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- M. Schmid, G. Deng, V. Seidl, M. Perié, M. Visonneau: “Computation of Complex Turbulent Flows.” in E. Hirschel (ed.), Numerical Flow SimulationI,Notes on Numerical Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 66, pp. 407–425, Vieweg, Braunschweig, 1998.Google Scholar
- F. R. Menter: “Zonal Two-Equations k-w turbulence models for aerodynamic flows, AIAA Paper 93–2906, 1993.Google Scholar
- I. Demirdšié, S. Muzaferija, M. Perié: “Computation of turbulent flows in complex geometries.” Shap. 7 in G. Tzabiras et al. (eds), Calculation of Complex Turbulent Flows, pp. 249–299, WIT Press, Southampton, 2000.Google Scholar
- R. Duvigneau, M. Visonneau: “Shape optimization for incompressible and turbulent flows using the simplex method.” AIAA paper 2001–2533, Proc. 15th Computational Fluid Fluid Dynamic Conference, Anaheim, June 2001.Google Scholar
- E. Guilmineau, P. Queutey: “Numerical simulation of turbulent unsteady flow around a square cross-section cylinder in the proximity of a solid wall.” IUTAM Symposium on Unsteady Separated Flows, Toulouse, April 2002.Google Scholar
- H. Lienhart, C. Stoots, S. Becker: “Flow and turbulence structures in the wake of a simplified car model (Ahmed model).” DGLR Fach Symp. der AG STAB, Stuttgart University, 15.–17. November 2000.Google Scholar
- M. Schmid: “Grobstruktursimulation turbulenter Strömungen auf unstrukturierten Gittern mit einer parallelen Finite-Volumen Methode”, PhD Thesis, TU Hamburg-Harburg, 2002.Google Scholar
- C. Norberg: “Effects of Reynolds number and low-intensity free stream turbulence on the flow around a circular cylinder.” Pupl. No. 87/2, Department of Themoscience and Fluid Mech., Chalmers University of Technology, Gothenburg, 1987.Google Scholar
- L. M. Lourenco, C. Shih: “The velocity field of the turbulent near wake of a circular cylinder, a particle image velocitmetry study.” Unpublished data from .Google Scholar
- P. Beaudan, P. Moin: “Numerical experiments on the flow past circular cylinders at subcritical Reynolds numbers.” Report no. TF-62, Thermosciences Div., Stanford University, USA (1994)Google Scholar