Designing Storage Structures for Management of Materialised Methods in Object-Oriented Databases
- 285 Downloads
Efficient execution of an object method has a great impact on a query response time. Optimising access to data returned by methods is difficult as methods are written in a high-level programming language and their code is usually hidden to a query optimiser in order to preserve encapsulation. Moreover, estimating the cost of executing a method is another serious problem. In this paper we propose a framework for the materialisation of method results in object databases. In our approach, the materialisation of method m results also in the materialisation of intermediate results of methods called from m. We call this technique hierarchical materialisation. The hierarchical materialisation technique was implemented and evaluated in a prototype based on the FastObjects t7 object-oriented database.
KeywordsGeographical Information System Sensitive Attribute Time Overhead Object Identifier Query Response Time
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Bȩbel, B., Wrembel, R.: Hierarchical Materialisation of Methods in OO Views: Design, Maintenance, and Experimental Evaluation. In: Proc. of the ACM 4th Int. Workshop on Data Warehousing and OLAP – DOLAP 2001, Atlanta, USA (November 2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Cattell, R.G.G., Barry, D., Berler, M., Eastman, J., Jordan, D., Russel, C., Shadow, O., Stanienda, T., Velez, F.: Object Database Standard: ODMG 3.0. Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, San Francisco (2000)Google Scholar
- 4.Eder, J., Frank, H., Liebhart, W.: Optimization of Object–Oriented Queries by Inverse Methods. In: Proc. of East/West Database Workshop, Austria (1994)Google Scholar
- 5.Jhingran, A.: Precomputation in a Complex Object Environment. In: Proc of the IEEE Data Engineering Conference, Japan, pp. 652–659 (1991)Google Scholar
- 6.Kemper, A., Kilger, C., Moerkotte, G.: Function Materialization in Object Bases. In: Proc. of the SIGMOD Conference, pp. 258–267 (1991)Google Scholar
- 7.Kemper, A., Kilger, C., Moerkotte, G.: Function Materialization in Object Bases: Design, Realization, and Evaluation. In: IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, vol. 6(4) (1994)Google Scholar
- 8.Morzy, T., Wrembel, R., Koszlajda, T.: Hierarchical materialisation of method results in object–oriented views. In: Proc. of the ADBIS–DASFAA 2000 Conference, Czech Republic. LNCS, vol. 1874, pp. 200–214 (2000)Google Scholar