A New Computation Model for Rough Set Theory Based on Database Systems
We propose a new computation model for rough set theory using relational algebra operations in this paper. We present the necessary and sufficient conditions on data tables under which an attribute is a core attribute and those under which a subset of condition attributes is a reduct, respectively. With this model, two algorithms for core attributes computation and reduct generation are suggested. The correctness of both algorithms is proved and their time complexity is analyzed. Since relational algebra operations have been efficiently implemented in most widely-used database systems, the algorithms presented can be extensively applied to these database systems and adapted to a wide range of real-life applications with very large data sets.
KeywordsDatabase System Decision Matrix Decision Attribute Equivalent Classis Core Attribute
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bell, D., Guan, J.: Computational methods for rough classification and discovery. J. of ASIS 49(5), 403–414 (1998)Google Scholar
- 2.Cercone, N., Ziarko, W., Hu, X.: Rule Discovery from Databases: A Decision Matrix Approach. In: Proc. Int’l Sym. on Methodologies for Intelligent System (1996)Google Scholar
- 3.Deogun, J., Choubey, S., Taghavan, V., Sever, H.: Feature selection and effective classifiers. J. of ASIS 49(5), 423–434 (1998)Google Scholar
- 4.Hu, X., Lin, T.Y., Han, J.: A New Rough Sets Model Based on Database Systems. In: Proc. of the 9th International Conference on Rough Sets, Fuzzy Sets, Data Mining and Granular Computing (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Garcia-Molina, H., Ullman, J.D., Widom, J.: Database System Implementation. Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs (2000)Google Scholar
- 6.Kumar, A.: A New Technique for Data Reduction in A Database System for Knowledge Discovery Applications. J. of Intelligent Systems 10(3)Google Scholar
- 7.Lin, T.Y., Cercone, N.: Applications of Rough Sets Theory and Data Mining. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht (1997)Google Scholar
- 9.Modrzejewski, M.: Feature Selection Using Rough Sets Theory. In: Brazdil, P.B. (ed.) ECML 1993. LNCS, vol. 667, pp. 213–226. Springer, Heidelberg (1993)Google Scholar