A Comparison of Software Product Family Process Frameworks
A number of product family process frameworks has been published recently. These frameworks focus on different aspects of product family based development. We have investigated a variety of publicly available product family frameworks and chosen four of the variants for maximum coverage of different viewpoints. We first propose a reference product line process framework. With the help of the reference framework, the chosen source frameworks are correlated and compared at the level of individual activities. Both in the reference framework and in the comparison, we stress domain engineering as one of the most essential activities.
KeywordsProduct Family Software Product Line Domain Engineering Process Framework Product Line Engineering
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Reuse Adoption Guidebook, SPC-93051-CMC, Software Productivity Consortium, Herndon, VA (1993)Google Scholar
- Arango, G.: Domain Analysis Methods. In: Shaefer, W., Prieto-Diaz, R., Matsumoto, M. (eds.) Software Reusability. Ellis Horwood (1994)Google Scholar
- Campbell Jr., G.H.: Reuse-driven Process Improvement. In: The first European Annual Conference on Reuse, London (April 1999)Google Scholar
- Clements, P., Northrop, L., et al.: A Framework for Software Product Line Practice – Version 2.0, SEI (July 1999), http://www.sei.cmu.edu/plp/framework.html
- Jean-Marc, De Baud, Schmid, K.: A Practical Comparison of Major Domain Analysis Approaches - Towards a Customizable Domain Analysis Framework. In: Proceedings of the Tenth Conference on Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering (1998)Google Scholar
- Engineering Software Architectures, Processes and Platforms for System- Families, European EUREKA/ITEA project, http://www.esi.es/esaps/
- Jacobson, I., Griss, M., Jonsson, P.: Software Reuse. Architecture, Process and Organization for Business Success. ACM Press, New York (1997)Google Scholar
- Känsälä, K.: Practices for Managing a Corporate-wide SPI Programme. In: European SEPG Conference, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, June 7-10 (1999)Google Scholar
- Nyström, T.: Comparison of Software Reference Processes Definitions, Master’s thesis, HUT, p. 66 (1997)Google Scholar
- Reuse-driven Software Processes Guidebook, SPC-92019-CMC, Software Productivity Consortium, Herndon, VA (November 1993)Google Scholar
- SPICE, Software Process Assessment Part 5: An assessment model and indicator guidance ISO/IEC/JTC1/SC7/WG10/N111, V2.0 (October 1996), http://www.sqi.gu.edu.au/spice/