Using Virtual Reality for ”New Clowns”
- 725 Downloads
This paper describes an experimental performance where theaterclowns make a show using Virtual Reality (VR) technologies. The classical theater scenery is replaced by a large-scale screen on which 3D models are displayed in real-time, allowing the clowns and the audience to be immersed in highly interactive virtual environments (VEs). We put on a scenario where the clowns and the audience travel over a city and explore a mysterious planet. We describe the software and hardware solutions that we use for the generation of the VE and for the interaction with them. Using VR for new clowns allows the audience to feel new experiences. It gives the theater a new field of investigation. Last but not least, it allows VR to be closer to the people.
KeywordsVirtual Reality Virtual Environment Laser Pointer Scene Graph Virtual Reality Technology
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Cruz-Neira, C., Sandin, D.J., DeFanti, T.A.: Surround-Screen Projection-Based Virtual Reality: The Design and Implementation of the CAVE. ACM Computer Graphics 27(2), 135–142 (1993)Google Scholar
- 2.Exploration of Virtual Realities: University Theatre and Department of Theatre and Film at the University of Kansas, www.ku.edu/~mreaney/shows.html
- 3.Hachet, M., Guitton, P., Reuter, P., Tyndiuk, F.: The CAT for efficient 2D and 3D interaction as an alternative to mouse adaptations. To appear in Proceedings of Virtual Reality Software and Tecnology (VRST 2003) (November 2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Hachet, M., Guitton, P.: From Cadastres to Urban Environments for 3D Geomarketing. In: Proceedings of IEEE/ISPRS joint Workshop on Remote Sensing and Data Fusion over Urban Areas, Roma, November 2001, pp. 146–150 (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Théatre du chapeau, http://www.theatre-du-chapeau.com
- 7.Virtual Reality Application Center, http://www.vrac.iastate.edu/
- 8.Worcester Polytechnic Institue, http://www.wpi.edu/Academics/Depts/HUA/TT/vr.html