Combining Supervised and Unsupervised Methods to Support Early Diagnosis of Hepatocellular Carcinoma
- 449 Downloads
The early diagnosis of Hepatocellular Carcinoma (HCC) is extremely important for effective treatment and improvements in diagnosis are indispensable, particularly concerning the differentiation between “early” HCC and non neoplastic nodules. In this paper, we reconsidered the results obtained previously and compared them with the results of an unsupervised method to achieve a deep knowledge on uncertain lesions. This analysis agreed with the predictions on DNs obtained by the supervised system, providing pathologists with reliable information to support their diagnostic process.
KeywordsHepatocellular Carcinoma Conjunctive Normal Form Feature Selection Algorithm Unsupervised Method Dysplastic Nodule
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Anonymous. Terminology of nodular hepatocellular lesions. international working party. Hepatology 22, 983–993 (1995)Google Scholar
- 2.Ciocchetta, F., Dell’Anna, R., Demichelis, F., Sboner, A., Dhillon, A.P., Dhillon, A., Godfrey, A., Quaglia, A.: Knowledge discovery to support hepatocellular carcinoma early diagnosis. In: International Joint Conference on Neural Network - Special Session: Knowledge Discovery, and Image and Signal Processing in Medicine (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Giacomo, P.D., Felici, G., Maceratini, R., Truemper, K.: Application of a new logic domain method for the diagnosis of hepatocellular carcinoma. In: Proceedings of MEDINFO 2001. IOS Press, Amsterdam (2001)Google Scholar
- 4.Witten, I.H., Frank, E.: Data Mining: Practical Machine Learning Tools and Techniques with Java Implementations. Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco (1999)Google Scholar
- 6.Poon, T.C.W., Chan, A.T.-C., Zee, B., Ho, S.K.-W., Mok, T.S.-K., Leung, T.W.-T., Johnson, P.J.: Application of classification tree and neural network algorithms to the identification of serological liver marker profiles for the diagnosis of hepatocellular carcinoma. Oncology 61, 275–283 (2001)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Stuyf, A., Humbert, M., Rousseuw, P.: Clustering in an-object-oriented enviroment. Journal of Statistical Software 1(4) (1996)Google Scholar
- 9.Venables, W., Smith, D.M., and R. development Core Team.: An Introduction to R. Note on R: A Program Enviroment for Data analysis and Graphics. Version 1.6.1 (2002) (last access Feb 28, 2003), http://www.r-project.org