License Plate Character Segmentation Based on the Gabor Transform and Vector Quantization
This paper presents a novel algorithm for license plate detection and license plate character segmentation problems by using the Gabor transform in detection and local vector quantization in segmentation. As of our knowledge this is the first application of Gabor filters to license plate segmentation problem. Even though much of the research efforts are devoted to the edge or global thresholding-based approaches, it is more practical and efficient to analyze the image in certain directions and scales utilizing the Gabor transform instead of error-prone edge detection or thresholding. Gabor filter response only gives a rough estimate of the plate boundary. Then binary split tree is used for vector quantization in order to extract the exact boundary and segment the plate region into disjoint characters which become ready for the optical character recognition.
KeywordsVector Quantization Gabor Filter Optical Character Recognition License Plate Plate Region
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Gao, D., Zhou, J.: Car License Plates Detection from Complex Scene. In: International Conference on Signal Processing, pp. 1409–1414 (2000)Google Scholar
- 2.Kamat, V., Ganesan, S.: An efficientimplementation of the Hough transform for detecting vehicle license plates using DSP’S. In: Real-Time Technology and Applications Symposium (1995)Google Scholar
- 3.Barroso, J., Rafael, A., Dagless, E.L., Bulas-Cruz, J.: Number plate reading using computer vision. In: IEEE - International Symposium on Industrial Electronics ISIE 1997, Universi-dade do Minho, Guimaraes (1997)Google Scholar
- 4.Siah, Y.K., Haur, T.Y.: Vehicle license plate recognition by fuzzy Art-map neural network. Centre for Artificial Intelligence and Robotics, Kuala LumpurGoogle Scholar
- 6.Gray, R.: Vector Quantization. IEEE ASSP Magazine, 4–29 (April 1984)Google Scholar
- 7.Rovetta, S., Zunino, R.: License-plate localization by using Vector Quantization. In: Proc. ICASSP 1999 IEEE Int. Conf. on Acou., Speech, Sig., vol. II, pp. 1113–1116 (1999)Google Scholar