An Activity Planning and Progress Following Tool for Self-Directed Distance Learning
This paper presents an overview of the design and implementation of an Activity Planning and Progress Following Tool (APT) for e-learning. APT is a software based support tool designed to assist learners with their self directed distance learning (SDDL). A literature survey for the additional components of Learning Management Systems (LMS) that are needed for SDDL is conducted. As a result, the importance of “planning”, “feedback” and “resources” properties are revealed. In the continuation of the study, APT was developed by adding “Recommended Study Time Periods”, “Resources”, “Study Planning”, “User Goals” and “Progress Report” modules to the “Content Administration Tool” (CAT), which was developed before in another study.
KeywordsSelf-directed learning self-directed distance learning self-plann-ing progress following
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Yilmaz, B., Yalabik, N., Karagoz, A.: NET-Class and a Comparison of the Web Based Course Management Tools (2001), Available [Online] at http://ecommerce.lebow.drexel.edu/eli/pdf/YilmazEBKNet-C.pdf
- 2.TeLL me More The Complete Solution, Available [Online] at http://www.auralog.com/en/tellmemore.html
- 3.Brockett, R.G., Hiemstra, R.: Self-Direction in Adult Learning: Perspectives on Theory, Research, and Practice. Routledge, New York (1991)Google Scholar
- 4.Knowles, M.S.: Self-Directed Learning. A guide for learners and teachers. Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs (1975)Google Scholar
- 5.CAT-Team: Software Requirements Specification for CAT, v3.1. Informatics Institute, METU (2002)Google Scholar