Fuzzy Logic and Neural Network Applications on the Gas Sensor Data: Concentration Estimation
In this study, a fuzzy logic based algorithm is presented for the concentration estimation of the CCl4 and CHCl3 gases by using the steady state sensor response and an artificial neural network (ANN) structure is proposed for the concentration estimation of the same gases inside the sensor response time by using the transient sensor response. The Quartz Crystal Microbalance (QCM) type sensors were used as gas sensors. A computer controlled measurement and automation system with IEEE 488 card was used to control the gas concentration values and to collect the sensor responses. Acceptable performance was obtained for the concentration estimation with fuzzy inference. The appropriateness of the artificial neural network for the gas concentration determination inside the sensor response time is observed.
KeywordsArtificial Neural Network Membership Function Fuzzy Logic Frequency Shift Sensor Response
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ho, M.H., Gullbault, G.G., Rietz, B.: Continuos Detection of Toluene in Ambient Air with a Coated Piezoelectric Crystal. Anal. Chem. 52(9) (1980)Google Scholar
- 2.Vaihinger, S., Gopel, W.: Multi - Component Analysis in Chemical Sensing in Sensors: A Comprehensive Survery. In: Gopel, W., Hense, S., Zemel, S.N. (eds.), vol. 2(1), p. 192. VCH. Weinhe, New York (1991)Google Scholar
- 5.Gopel, W., Schierbaum, K.D.: Sensors A Comprehensive Survey, vol. ch. 1, pp. 18–27. VCH Weinheim, New York (1991)Google Scholar
- 7.Riddick, J., Bunger, A., Weissberger, A.: Organic Solvents in Techniques of Chemistry, vol. 2. Wiley Interscience, Hoboken (1970)Google Scholar
- 10.Haykin, S.: Neural Networks. In: A Comprehensive Foundation. Macmillan Publishing Company, Englewood Cliffs (1994)Google Scholar
- 11.Huyberechts, G., Szecowka, P., Roggen, J., Licznerski, B.W.: Sensors & Actuators B 41, 123–130 (1997)Google Scholar