Low Cost and Trusted Electronic Purse System Design
Electronic purse systems are more trusted than magnetic credit card payment systems. However, electronic purse technology is difficult and expensive to realize. Security is a major problem in payment systems, but off-line electronic payments have security gaps. Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) solutions, which are applicable with third parties included to the system, have some risks. Smart cards are not fully trusted. In this study, a low cost and easily applicable electronic purse system is proposed. The proposed solution is as trusted as its global world samples. Applying a simple user authentication method, memory protected smart cards is used without requiring microprocessor smart card security.
KeywordsSmart Card Authentication Scheme Mutual Authentication Certification Authority Authentication Phase
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Truman, G.E., Sandoe, K., Rifkin, T.: An empirical study of smart card technology. In: Elsevier Science B.V. Information & Management 2004, pp. 1–15 (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Rankl, W., Effing, W.: Smart Card Handbook. John Wiley & Sons, Chichester (1997)Google Scholar
- 5.U.S. NIST, Computer Systems Lab, Secure Hash Standard, FIBS PUB 180 (May 1993)Google Scholar
- 6.Anderson, R.: Security Engineering. John Wiley, Chichester (2001)Google Scholar
- 7.Kocher, P.: Timing Attacks on Implementations of Diffie-Hellman, RSA, DSS, and Other Systems. In: Koblitz, N. (ed.) CRYPTO 1996. LNCS, vol. 1109, pp. 104–113. Springer, Heidelberg (1996)Google Scholar
- 8.Kocher, P., Jaffe, J., Jun, B.: Differential Power Analysis. In: Wiener, M. (ed.) CRYPTO 1999. LNCS, vol. 1666, pp. 388–397. Springer, Heidelberg (1999)Google Scholar
- 9.Boneh, D., DeMillo, R., Lipton, R.: The Importance of Checking Cryptographic Protocols for Faults. In: Fumy, W. (ed.) EUROCRYPT 1997. LNCS, vol. 1233, pp. 37–51. Springer, Heidelberg (1997)Google Scholar
- 10.Corcoran, D., Sims, D., Hillhouse, B.: Smart Cards and Biometrics: Your Key to PKI. Issue 59: March 01 (1999), http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=3013
- 13.Kiliçh, T.: Smarts Cards in PKI (2002), http://deepnight.org/publications/smartcard-howto/smartpki.html
- 14.Ellison, C., Schneier, B.: Ten Risks of PKI: What You’re not Being Told about Public Key Infrastructure. Computer Security Journal XVI(1) (2001)Google Scholar