Laser Projection Microscope: Principle and Applications in Biology
- 210 Downloads
One of the technical problems in modern biology is the display of microobjects on large screens. Generally, for this purpose “passive” microprojectors are used, but in many cases these systems provide only an insufficient screen illumination. In order to achieve a good visibility the screen illumination should be, e.g. in the green spectral range not less than 0.1W/cm2. For example, if we want to have a 1.000 × linear magnification of the image, the light flux per unit area of the object must be 106 × as intensive as that per unit area of the screen. This means that due to absorption and scattering losses an energy density in the object plane 107 × higher than the minimum energy intensity on the screen is needed. Although modern light sources can provide the theoretically needed object illumination, the resulting very high light fluxes may have degradation or even destroying effects on the object, especially when living systems are investigated. One of the ways to overcome these difficulties is the use of a laser amplification system.
KeywordsLaser Medium Light Flux Modern Biology Power Laser Pulse High Power Laser Pulse
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.RABINOVITCH, P., R. CHIMENTI: J. Opt. Soc. Amer. 60, (1970), 1577.Google Scholar
- 2.ZEMSKOV, K.I., A.A. ISAEY, M.A. KAZARYAN, G.G. PETRASH: Kvantovaya elektronika 1, (1974), 14.Google Scholar
- 3.ZEMSKOV, K.I., A.A. ISAEV, M.A. KAZARYAN, G.G. PETRASH: Kvantovaya elektronika 3, (1976), 35.Google Scholar
- 4.BUNKIN, F.V., M.A. KAZARYAN, M.A. KONDRAT’ev, G.G. PETRASH, A.M. PROKHOROV, V.V. SAVRANSKY, I.N. SISAKYAN, G.A. SITNIKOV, K.I. ZEMSKOV: Microscopica Acta 82, (1979), 229.Google Scholar
- 5.ZEMSKOV, K.I., M.A. KAZARYAN, G.G. PETRASH, V.V. SAVRANSKY: Paper held at the 2-nd USSR-France Symposium on Optical Instrument Manufacturing, March, 1981, Moscow-Tallin.Google Scholar
- E.A. MOROZOVA, A.M. PROKHOROV, V.V. SAVRANSKY, G.A. SHAFEEV: DAN USSR, to be published.Google Scholar
- 6.KOSTENKO, M.A.: Cytologics 10, (1974).Google Scholar
- 7.KULAGINA, E.N., S.A. OSIPOVSKY, V.V. SAVRANSKY, A.P. SHURYGINA: Cytologics (USSR), in print.Google Scholar