Holographic Measurement of Deformation in Complete Upper Dentures — Clinical Application
- 206 Downloads
Prosthodontists are responsible for dentures which are well retained, stabile and show optimal fit even after extensive use in order to prevent injury to the underlying tissues. Various processing techniques result in unequal physical properties and behaviour in different directions due to the anisotropy of the polymer. Dimensional changes cause resorption and are indirectly responsible for a decrease in retention and stability. Numerous investigators have compared the dimensional and other differences in some common base materials [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6]. Previously described methods for dimensional measurement are sometimes based on repositioning on the mastercast, [7, 8, 9, 10] which may not be sufficiently accurate [11, 12, 13]. The determination of three-dimensional shape by use of a measuring microscope has also been described [11, 12, 13]. Other methods have also been used for the same purpose [14, 15, 16]. In any case, measuring deformations in polymers is a very intricate problem due to the anisotropy of the material, and knowledge of the total deformation pattern of the object is very limited. Holographic interferometry seems to solve many of these special polymer problems in a satisfying way [11, 16, 17, 18, 19].
KeywordsInterference Fringe Observation Angle Holographic Method Object Beam Denture Stomatitis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.P.O. Glantz, G.D. Stafford: Swed. Dent. J. 66, 129 (1973).Google Scholar
- 4.C.M. Becker, D.E. Smith, J.I. Nicholls: J. Prosthet. Dent. 37, 3, 330 (1977).Google Scholar
- 5.C. Bessing, B. Nilsson, M. Bergman: Swed. Dent. J. 3, 221 (T-479).Google Scholar
- 7.J.B.: Woelfel, G.C. Paffenbarger, W.T. Sweeney: J.A.D.A. 65, 495 (1962).Google Scholar
- 8.J.B. Woelfel, G.C. Paffenbarger: J.A.D.A. 59, 250 (1959)Google Scholar
- 9.J.B. Woelfel, G.C. Paffenbarger, W.T. Sweeney: J.A.D.A. 62, 643 (1961).Google Scholar
- 14.L. Hollender, P. Lockowandt: Odont. Revy 17, 55 (1966).Google Scholar
- 15.P.O. Glantz, G.D. Stafford: Swed. Dent. J 66, 137 (1973).Google Scholar
- 16.I. Dirtoft, N. Abramson: in print.Google Scholar
- 18.F. Albugues, C. le Floch: ICAO Bulletin may 1981.Google Scholar
- 19.A.E. Ennos, K. Thomas: Plastics and Rubber Processing, 165, Dec 1978.Google Scholar