Enhancing Peer-to-Peer Parallel Data Access with PeerFecT
Data access performances over a Peer-to-Peer (P2P) network is a critical issue since downloading time remains the longest phase of P2P usage by end-user. In the present effort, we propose an innovative approach called PeerFecT (Peer-to-peer with Fec dissemination Technique) based on an erasure code, often called Forward Error Correction (FEC) code, to speed-up data access into P2P networks. The main idea is to use the erasure code to dilute the information over the peers. This dilution allows a greater and flexible choice among all the disseminated encoded data and then statistically enhances the overall throughput of the transfer. This paper focus on the performance gain this technique can provide. A performance evaluation based on an original model using the results of a measurement campaign of sequential and parallel downloads in a real P2P network over Internet is presented. The results show that for the same amount of information disseminated into the P2P network, our solution is more efficient compared to classical file replication approaches.
KeywordsP2P (Peer-to-peer) Erasure codes parallel data access
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Cohen, E., Shenker, S.: Replication Strategies in Unstructured Peer-to-peer Networks. In: ACM SIGCOMM 2002 (August 2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Eugene Ng, T.S., Chu, Y., Rao, S., Sripanidkulchai, K., Zhang, H.: Measurement-Based Optimization Techniques for Bandwidth-Demanding Peer-to-Peer Systems. In: INFOCOM 2003 (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Lai, K., Baker, M.: Nettimer: a tool for measuring bottleneck link bandwidth. In: Proc. USENIX Symp. on Internet Technologies and Systems (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Rizzo, L.: Effective Erasure Codes for Reliable Computer Communication Protocols. Computer Communication Review (April 1997)Google Scholar
- 7.Rodriguez, P., Kirpal, A., Biersack, E.W.: Parallel-Access for Mirror Sites in the Internet. In: Proceedings of IEEE/Infocom 2000, Tel-Aviv, Israel (2000)Google Scholar
- 8.Saroiu, S., Gummadi, P., Gribble, S.: A Measurement Study of Peer-to-Peer File Sharing Systems. T.R. UW-CSE-01-06-02, Seattle (July 2001) Google Scholar