Dependency Pairs for Simply Typed Term Rewriting
Simply typed term rewriting proposed by Yamada (RTA, 2001) is a framework of higher-order term rewriting without bound variables. In this paper, the dependency pair method of first-order term rewriting introduced by Arts and Giesl (TCS, 2000) is extended in order to show termination of simply typed term rewriting systems. Basic concepts such as dependency pairs and estimated dependency graph in the simply typed term rewriting framework are clarified. The subterm criterion introduced by Hirokawa and Middeldorp (RTA, 2004) is successfully extended to the case where terms of function type are allowed. Finally, an experimental result for a collection of simply typed term rewriting systems is presented. Our method is compared with the direct application of the first-order dependency pair method to a first-order encoding of simply typed term rewriting systems.
KeywordsDependency Graph Termination Proof Dependency Pair Head Variable Simple Projection
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Aoto, T., Yamada, T.: Termination of simply-typed applicative term rewriting systems. In: Proceedings of the 2nd International Workshop on Higher-Order Rewriting (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Giesl, J., Thiemann, R., Schneider-Kamp, P., Falke, S.: Mechanizing dependency pairs. Research Report 2003–08, Aachener Informatik-Bericht (2003)Google Scholar
- 12.Klop, J.W.: Combinatory Reduction Systems. PhD thesis, Rijksuniversiteit, Utrecht (1980)Google Scholar
- 13.Kusakari, K.: On proving termination of term rewriting systems with higher-order variables. IPSJ Transactions on Programming 42(SIG 7 PRO 11), 35–45 (2001)Google Scholar
- 14.Kusakari, K.: Higher-order path orders based on computability. IEICE Transactions on Information and Systems E87–D(2), 352–359 (2003)Google Scholar
- 17.Sakai, M., Kusakari, K.: On new dependency pair method for proving termination of higher-order rewrite systems. In: Proceedings of the International Workshop on Rewriting in Proof and Computation, pp. 176–187 (2001)Google Scholar
- 18.Sakai, M., Watanabe, Y., Sakabe, T.: An extension of dependency pair method for proving termination of higher-order rewrite systems. IEICE Transactions on Information and Systems E84–D(8), 1025–1032 (2001)Google Scholar