Performance of Hierarchical Cellular Networks with Overlapping Cells
An efficient utilisation of the radio resources in mobile communications is of a great importance. If the capacity is split into many independent small groups, then for a given blocking probability the utilization becomes low. In this paper we describe the basic principles and strategies for obtaining maximum utilisation as given by Erlang’s B-formula. The models described are analytical models and generalisations of the Erlang-B formula, including general arrival processes and multi-rate (multi-media) traffic for second and third generation systems. A transformation from cell-based network to direct routing network model is used to carry out the calculations. By numerical examples we study the statistical multiplexing advantages of cell breathing, overlapping cells and hierarchical cell structures.
Keywordsblocking cell breathing cellular networks direct routing Erlang-B formula hierarchical cellular networks multi-rate services
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Everitt, D.: Product form solutions in cellular mobile communication systems. In: Jensen, A., Iversen, V.B. (eds.) Teletraffic and Datatraffic in a Period of Change, ITC–13, pp. 483–488. North Holland, Amsterdam (1991)Google Scholar
- 4.Hansen, Damsgaard, P.: Dimensioning of multi-service networks (in Danish). Master thesis. Research Center COM, Technical University of Denmark, p. 93 (May 2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Iversen, V.B.: The Exact Evaluation of Multi–Service Loss Systems with Access Control. Teleteknik, English ed. 31(2), 56–61 (1987)Google Scholar
- 6.Iversen, V.B., Glenstrup, A.: Resource allocation in wireless systems. In: Wosniak, J., Konorskipp, J. (eds.) IFIP Conference on Personal Wireless Communications, Gdansk, Poland, September 14-15. Proceedings 123-132, p. 270. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht (2000)Google Scholar
- 7.Iversen, V.B.: Multi-dimensional loss systems. Teletraffic Engineering, ch. 10, Dpt. of Telecommunications, Technical University of Denmark (2004), http://www.com.dtu.dk/teletraffic
- 8.Ko, K.T., Cheung, C.C.: Calculation of call congestion in multi-layer cellular networks with non-Poissonian traffic. In: ISTN 1992, Second International Seminar on Teletraffic and Network Issues, Proceedings, Beijing, China, Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications, September 9-12, pp. 88–91 (1992)Google Scholar