Component Architecture Redesigning Approach Using Component Metrics
Components are reusable software building blocks that can be quickly and easily assembled into new systems. Many people think the primary objective of components is reuse. The best reuse is reuse of the design rather than implementation. So, it is necessary to study the component metrics that can be applied in the stage of the component analysis and design. In this paper, we propose component architecture redesigning approach using the component metrics. The proposed component metrics reflect the keynotes of component technology, base on the similarity information about behavior patterns of operations to offer the component’s service. Also, we propose the component architecture redesigning approach. That uses the clustering principle, makes the component design as the independent functional unit having the high-level reusability and cohesion, low level complexity and coupling.
KeywordsComponent Metrics Operation Similarity Coupling Measurement Component Architecture Behavioral Type
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Szyperski, C., Gruntz, D., Murer, S.: Component Software: Beyond Object-Oriented Programming, 2nd edn. Addison-Wesley, Reading (2002)Google Scholar
- 2.D’Souza, D.F., Wills, A.C.: Object, Component and Framework with UML: The Catalysis Approach. Addison-Wesley, Reading (1999)Google Scholar
- 3.Cheesman, J., Daniels, J.: Uml Components: a Simple Process for Specifying Component-Based Software. Addison-Wesley, Reading (2001)Google Scholar
- 4.Allen, P.: Realizing e-Business with Components. Addison-Wesley, Reading (2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Heineman, G.T., Councill, W.T.: Component-Based Software Engineering: Putting the Pieces Together. Addison-Wesley, Reading (2001)Google Scholar
- 7.Atkinson, C., Bayer, J., Bunse, C., Kamsties, E., Laitenberger, O., Laqua, R., Muthig, D., Peach, B., Wust, J., Zettel, J.: Component-Based Product Line Engineering with UML, pp. 372–408. Addison-Wesley, Reading (2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Moser, S., Misic, V.B.: Measuring Class Coupling and Cohesion: A Formal Metamodel Approach. In: 4th Asia-Pacific Software Engineering and International Computer Science Conference, Hong Kong, pp. 31–40 (1997)Google Scholar