Plan-Based Coordination of a Multi-agent System for Protein Structure Prediction
In this paper, we describe the design and implementation of a multi-agent system that supports prediction of three dimensional structure of an unknown protein from its sequence of amino acids. Some of the problems involved are such as how many agents should be coordinated to support prediction of protein’s structures as well as how we devise agents from multiple resources. To address these problems, we propose a plan-based coordination mechanism for our multi-agent system. In our proposed system, MAPS, The control agent coordinates other agents based on a specific multi-agent plan, which specifies possible sequences of interactions among agents. This plan-based coordination mechanism has greatly increased both coherence and flexibility of our system.
KeywordsMultiagent System Protein Structure Prediction Resource Agent Multi Agent Interface Agent
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Gibas, C., Jambeck, P.: Developing Bioinformatics Computer Skills. O’Reilly, Sebastopol (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Merelli, E., Culmone, R.: BioAgent: A Mobile Agent System for Bioscientists. In: Proceedings of NETTAB 2002, Agents in Bioinformatics (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Abasolo, J.M., Gomez, M.: MELISA: An ontology-based agent for information retrieval in medicine. In: Proceedings of the First International Workshop on the Semantic Web (Sem-Web 2000), Lisbon, Portugal, pp. 73–82 (2000)Google Scholar
- 7.Rost, B., et al.: Protein structure prediction in 1D, 2D, and 3D. The Encyclopaedia of Computational Chemistry (3), 2242–2255 (1998)Google Scholar
- 8.Sycara, K.: Multiagent Systems. AI Magazine 19(2), 79–92 (1998)Google Scholar
- 9.Willmott, S.N., Dale, J., Burg, B., CharIton, C., O’brien, P.: Agentcities: A Worldwide Open Agent Network. Agentlink News 8, 13–15 (2001)Google Scholar