Sketch-Based Shape Retrieval Using Length and Curvature of 2D Digital Contours
This paper presents a novel effective method for line segment extraction using chain code differentiation. The resulting line segments are employed for shape feature extraction. Length distribution of the extracted segments along with distribution of the angle between adjacent segments are exploited to extract compact hybrid features. The extracted features are used for sketch-based shape retrieval. Comparative results obtained from six other well known methods within the literature have been discussed. Using MPEG-7 contour shape database (CE-1) as the test bed, the new proposed method shows significant improvement in retrieval performance for sketch-based shape retrieval. The Average Normalized Modified Retrieval Rank (ANMRR) is used as the performance indicator. Although the retrieval performance has been improved using the proposed method, its computational intensity and subsequently, its feature extraction time are slightly higher than some other methods.
KeywordsRetrieval Performance Zernike Moment Fourier Descriptor Chain Code Corner Angle
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Bimbo, A.D.: Visual Inform. retrieval. Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco (1999)Google Scholar
- 8.Smith, J.R., Chang, S.F.: VisualSEEk: a fully automated content-based image query system. In: Proc. ACM Multimedia 1996, USA, pp. 87–98 (1996)Google Scholar
- 11.ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG11/N4358: Text of ISO/IEC 15938-3/FDIS information technology – multimedia content description interface – part 3 visual, Sydney (2001)Google Scholar
- 12.ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG11/N3321: MPEG-7 visual part of experimentation model version 5, Nordwijkerhout (2000)Google Scholar
- 13.Hoynck, M., Ohm, J.R.: Shape retrieval with robustness against partial occlusion. In: IEEE Int. Conf. Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, vol. 3, pp. 593–596 (2003)Google Scholar
- 14.Zhang, D., Lu, G.: Generic Fourier descriptor for shape-based image retrieval. In: Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Multimedia and Expo., vol. 1, pp. 425–428 (2002)Google Scholar
- 17.Ip, H.H.S., Cheng, A.K.Y., Wong, W.Y.F., Feng, J.: Affine-invariant sketch-based retrieval of images. In: Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Comput. Graphics, pp. 55–61 (2001)Google Scholar
- 18.Chalechale, A., Naghdy, G., Mertins, A.: Sketch-based image matching using angular partitioning. IEEE Trans. Systems, Man, Cybernetics - Part A: Systems and Humans (2004)Google Scholar
- 19.Chalechale, A., Naghdy, G., Premaratne, P.: Image database retrieval using sketched queries. In: Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Image Processing (ICIP 2004), Singapore (2004)Google Scholar
- 20.Gonzalez, R.C., Woods, R.E.: Digital Image Processing. Addison-Wesley, Reading (1992)Google Scholar
- 22.ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG11-MPEG2000/M5984: Core experiments on MPEG-7 edge histogram descriptors, Geneva (2000)Google Scholar