A Comparison of Opportunistic Scheduling Algorithms for Streaming Media in High-Speed Downlink Packet Access (HSDPA)
High-Speed Downlink Packet Access (HSDPA) is the release 5 extension of WCDMA standard which provides high data rates (up to 10.8 Mbps) by using Adaptive Modulation/Coding (AMC) and fast packet scheduling. This paper presents a comparison of opportunistic scheduling algorithms for streaming media in HSDPA. We first present a discrete event model for HSDPA multimedia system and express stochastic QoS constraints that reflect the requirement for uninterrupted playout. Next, we present a general structure of the opportunistic scheduling policies which exploit channel and/or buffer content variations for achieving the required QoS. By using computer simulations, we compare the performance of several special cases of the general policy in terms of the maximum number of the users that can be supported with the desired QoS constraint.
KeywordsTime Slot Spreading Code Frame Error Rate Channel Quality Indicator Transmission Time Interval
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kolding, T.E., Frederiksen, F., Mogensen, P.E.: Performance Aspects of WCDMA Systems with HSDPA. In: IEEE 56th VTC, Vancouver, BC, Canada, vol. 1, pp. 477–481 (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Andrews, M., Kumaran, K., Ramanan, K., Stolyar, A., Vijayakumar, R., Whiting, P.: CDMA Data QoS Scheduling on the Forward Link with Variable Channel Conditions. Bell Labs Technical Memorandum (2000)Google Scholar
- 4.Andrews, M., Kumaran, K., Ramanan, K., Stolyar, A., Whiting, P.: Providing Qulaity of Service over a Shared Wireless Link. IEEE Communications Magazine, 150–154 (February 2001)Google Scholar
- 7.Liu, X., Chong, E.K.P., Shroff, N.B.: Transmission Scheduling for Efficient Wireless Resource Utilization with Minimum-Utility Guarantees. In: Proceedings of the IEEE VTC Fall 2001, Atlantic City, USA, pp. 824–828 (October 2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Ericsson, Motorola, Nokia. Common HSDPA system simulation assumptions, in 3GPP TSG RAN WG1 Meeting #15 (Berlin, Germany) (2000) TSGR1#15(00)1094Google Scholar
- 11.Shakkottai, S., Stolyar, A.L.: Scheduling Algorithms for a Mixture of Real-Time and Non-Real-Time Data in HDR. In: Proceedings of the 17th International Teletraffic Congress (ITC-17), Salvador, Brazil (September 2001)Google Scholar