Analysis of FEC Codes for Partially Reliable Media Broadcasting Schemes
With many multimedia delivery schemes a client does not necessarily receive a given media content entirely (e.g. router congestions can lead some information to be lost). Mechanisms like error concealment and error resilient video coding allow the receiver to deal with partially received data and to play the content, with decreased quality though. Packet-level Forward Error Correction (FEC) can be used as a complementary technique to counter the effects of losses and reconstruct the missing packets. However if the number of packets received is too low for the FEC decoding process to finish, the received parity packets may turn out to be useless, and finally more source packets may be unavailable to the application than if FEC had not been used at all. This paper analyzes the adequacy of the LDGM Staircase, LDGM Triangle and RSE FEC codes to offer a partial reliability service for media content distribution over any kind of packet erasure channel, that is to say a service that enables a receiver to reconstruct parts of the content even if the FEC decoding process has not finished. We analyze this service in the context of a broadcasting system having no feedback channel and that offers media content distribution, like Digital Video/Audio Broadcasting.
KeywordsForward Error Correction Parity Check Matrix Error Concealment Check Node Unequal Error Protection
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Byers, J., Luby, M., Mitzenmacher, M., Rege, A.: A digital fountain approach to reliable distribution of bulk data. In: ACM SIGCOMM 1998 (August 1998)Google Scholar
- 2.Ernst, H., Sartorello, L., Scalise, S.: Transport layer coding for the land mobile satellite channel. In: 59th IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC 2004), Milan, Italy (May 2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Gallager, R.G.: Low density parity check codes. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory 8(1) (January 1962)Google Scholar
- 4.Luby, M., Gemmell, J., Vicisano, L., Rizzo, L., Crowcroft, J.: Asynchronous Layered Coding (ALC) protocol instantiation. IETF Request for Comments, RFC3450 (December 2002)Google Scholar
- 5.MacKay, D.: Information Theory, Inference and Learning Algorithms. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (2003) ISBN: 0521642981Google Scholar
- 6.Neuman, C., Roca, V.: Scalable video streaming over alc (svsoa): a solution for the large scale multicast distribution of videos. In: Streaming media distribution over the Internet (SMDI 2004), Athens, Greece (May 2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Neumann, C., Roca, V., Labouré, J., Khallouf, Z.: An Open-Source Implementation of a LDPC/LDGM Large Block FEC Codec, http://www.inrialpes.fr/planete/people/roca/mcl/
- 8.Paila, T.: Mobile internet over ip data broadcast. In: 10th IEEE Int. Conference on Telecommunications (ICT 2003), Papeete, French Polynesia (January 2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Paila, T., Luby, M., Lehtonen, R., Roca, V., Walsh, R.: FLUTE - File Delivery over Unidirectional Transport (December 2003), Work in Progress: <draft-ietf-rmt-flute-07.txt>Google Scholar
- 10.Rizzo, L.: Effective erasure codes for reliable computer communication protocols. ACM Computer Communication Review 27(2) (April 1997)Google Scholar
- 11.Roca, V., Khallouf, Z., Laboure, J.: Design and evaluation of a low density generator matrix (ldgm) large block fec codec. In: Fifth International Workshop on Networked Group Communication (NGC 2003), Munich, Germany (September 2003)Google Scholar
- 12.Roca, V., Neumann, C.: Design, evaluation and comparision of four large block fec codes, ldpc, ldgm, ldgm staircase and ldgm triangle, plus a reed-solomon small block fec codec. Research Report 5225, INRIA (June 2004)Google Scholar