A Concurrent System of Multi-ported Processes with Causal Dependency
The π-calculus is a concurrent system invented by Milner et al. in which concurrent computation is expressed as interaction of processes through name-passing. Building on the concept of name-passing, we propose a new concurrent system based on multi-ports, whereas the π-calculus is based on single-ports. Although our trial is not the first one in constructing a concurrent system based on multi-ports, ours is unique in that it is only extended in terms of multi-ports. This simplicity makes it possible to control self-communication of processes. Besides, it is an extension of the π-calculus, because a single-port can be expressed as a restriction in our system. These suggest that the concept of multi-ports is natural. Furthermore, it is more expressive than other calculi including the original π-calculus in spite of this simplicity. Even the strong call-by-name λ-calculus can be embedded into our system with respect to convergence and divergence, while it has not been successfully done into the original π-calculus.
KeywordsNormal Form Transitive Closure Input Process Parallel Composition Congruence Relation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Abadi, M., Cardelli, L., Curien, P.-L., Lévy, J.-J.: Explicit substitutions. In: Proceedings of POPL 1990: the 17th ACM SIGPLAN-SIGACT symposium on Principles of programming languages, pp. 31–46 (1990)Google Scholar
- 3.Bloo, R.: Preservation of strong normalisation for explicit substitution. Computer Science Report 95-08, Eindhoven University of Technology (1995)Google Scholar
- 4.Bloo, R., Rose, K.H.: Preservation of strong normalisation in named lambda calculi with explicit substitution and garbage collection. In: Proceedings of CSN 1995: Computer Science in the Netherlands (1995)Google Scholar
- 13.Parrow, J., Victor, B.: The fusion calculus: Expressiveness and symmetry in mobile processes. In: Proceedings of LICS 1998: the 13th IEEE Symposium on Logic in Computer Science (1998)Google Scholar
- 17.van Breugel, F.: A labelled transition system for π ε-calculus. In: Bidoit, M., Dauchet, M. (eds.) CAAP 1997, FASE 1997, and TAPSOFT 1997. LNCS, vol. 1214, pp. 312–336. Springer, Heidelberg (1997)Google Scholar