WBEM Based Distributed Network Monitoring
In the paper we identify the needs in efficient management of distributed networks and some problematic areas in the field. Then we introduce Web Based Enterprise Management (WBEM) to address the problem of providing a unified way to model all kinds of managed elements in a single information model in heterogeneous network environments. The advantages brought about by the use of WBEM in network management solve some critical problems existing in current network management. Based on the brief description of components of WBEM, we discuss in depth the basic WBEM instrumentation and multi-tiered WBEM enabled management infrastructure. We also apply this multi-tiered management infrastructure to a network management application scenario to monitor network activities for unexpected behaviors.
KeywordsNetwork Security Network Monitoring Web Based Enterprise Management Common Information Model
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Halse, G.A.: Novel Approaches to the Monitoring of Computer Networks, available at http://mombe.org/~guy/papers/msc-2003/html
- 2.Kallman, J.W., Minaie, P., Truppi, J., Dascalu, S.M., Harris Jr., F.C.: Software Modeling for Open Distributed Network Monitoring, available at http://www.cs.unr.edu/~fredh/papers/conf/032-smotodnms/paper.pdf
- 3.Rose, M.T.: The Simple Book: An introduction to management of TCP/IP-based internets. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs (1991)Google Scholar
- 4.Case, J., Fedor, M., Schoffstall, M., Davin, J.: A Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP). IETF, RFC 1157 (1990)Google Scholar
- 5.ITU-T, “Information Technology-Open Systems Interconnection-Common Management Information Protocol Definition,”, Geneva, ITU Recommendation X.711 (1992) Google Scholar
- 6.Object Management Group, The CORBA/IIOP Specification 3.0.2 (formal/2002-12-02), available at http://www.omg.org/cgi-bin/apps/doc?formal/02-12-02.pdf.
- 7.Gavalas, D., Greenwood, D., Ghanbari, M., O’Mahony, M.: A Progressive Network Management Architecture Enabled By Java Technology. In: Proceedings of the 1st International Conference and Exhibition on the Practical Applications of Java, London, UK, April 21-23 (1999)Google Scholar
- 8.Ha, E.-J., Jo, S.-H., Park, J.-T.: Design and Implementation of Web-based Internet/Intranet Application Service Management System, available at http://ain.knu.ac.kr/Publication/pdfdata/ConferenceWorkshopProceedingInternational/ejha.pdf
- 9.SNIA Storage Management Initiative, CIM/WBEM Technology Backgrounder, available at http://www.snia.org/tech_activities/smi
- 10.Microsoft, the Learn WBEM course, available at http://msdn.microsoft.com/developer/sdk/wbemsdk/default.htm
- 11.Distributed Management Task Force, http://www.dmtf.org
- 12.Mihajlovski, V., Schuur, A.: CIM Based Distributed Monitoring, available at http://www-124.ibm.cim/sblim/doc/cimdm.pdf
- 13.Cert Coordination Center, Monitor and inspect network activities for unexpected behavior, available at http://www.cert.org/security-improvement/practices/p094.html