Navigation Modelling from a User Services Oriented Approach
Traditional methodologies for Web Information Systems (WIS) development usually propose to get the navigation model from the conceptual data model. Unlike these methodologies, that follow a structural approach to build the navigation model, we propose to address the problem of navigation model construction from a user services oriented perspective. The method is based on identifying conceptual user services, that is specific services required by the user, and all the models are user services oriented. In this way, the navigation model is focused on the services required by the user. It also identifies just one specific route for each conceptual user service that guides the navigation of the user through the WIS. In this paper we explain the method and we show, by a case study, how the navigation model conceived from a user services oriented approach is more intuitive and user friendly.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Cáceres, P., Marcos, E., Vela, B.: A MDA-Based Approach for Web Information System Development. In: Workshop in Software Model Engineering (WiSME) in UML (2003), Retrieved from, http://www.metamodel.com/wisme-2003/
- 5.Conallen, J.: Building Web Applications with UML. Addison-Wesley, Reading (2000)Google Scholar
- 6.ConfMaster (2003), Available, http://confmaster.net/phpwebsite_en/index.php
- 8.Hennicker, R., Koch, N.: A UML-based Methodology for Hypermedia Design. In: Evans, A., Kent, S., Selic, B. (eds.) UML 2000. LNCS, vol. 1939, pp. 410–424. Springer, Heidelberg (2000)Google Scholar
- 9.Isakowitz, T., Kamis, A., Koufaris, M.: The Extended RMM Methodology for Web Publishing. Working Paper IS-98-18, Center for Research on Information System. Retrieved from (1998), http://rmm-java.stern.nyu.edu/rmm/
- 10.Koch, N., Kraus, A., Cachero, C., Meliá, S.: Modeling Web Business Processes with OOH and UWE. In: Schwabe, D., Pastor, O., Rossi, G., Olsina, L. (eds.) Third International Workshop on Web-oriented Software Technology (IWWOST 2003), pp. 27–50 (July 2003)Google Scholar
- 11.Marcos, E., Cáceres, P., De Castro, V.: An approach for Navigation Model Construction from the Use Cases Model. In: The 16th Conference On Advanced Information Systems Engineering. CAISE 2004 FORUM, pp. 83–92 (2004)Google Scholar